- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States»
Peachtree City, Golf Cart Capital of the World
Electric Transportation in a Strong City
A community that features as many electric golf carts as automobiles on its roads, Peachtree City sits just 30 miles southwest of Atlanta. The city is among the top 10 communities consistently found on Money Magazine's list of Best Places to Live in America. The reasons for this high ranking are several:
- The city maintains a strong commitment to alternative energy, including sustainable energy and electric golf carts.
- The Greater Peachtree Area has maintained large numbers of good jobs, including a consistent 56,000 to 78,000 from 2014 to mid-2018. This trend includes increasing numbers of manufacturing jobs that are created by the city's largest companies. (SimplyHired.com and Indeed,com).
- As a "planned city", this community is one of the youngest such cities in Georgia, founded in 1959.
- The city is centered on a major intersection: Georgia State Routes 54 and 74, with strong access to the CSX railroad line for shipping.
- The community combines four independent villages with different shopping centers, reccreation centers, parks, and schools.
Street Legal Fifteen-Year-Olds
Fifteen-year-olds in Peachtree City with legal automobile learner’s permits can operate golf carts alone and drive them to school. The speed limit is generally 15 mph.
The open, green space and recreation system of Peachtree City is well known in the South, because it offers several high-quality golf courses and a unique system of golf cart paths that enable people to get to any point in the city. In fact, an electric golf cart is the extra set of wheels for the majority of households in town.
The local police department operates a golf cart fleet as well. Not only that, but youth ages 12 and older can drive them legally with a parent up front to supervise.
Fifteen-year-olds with legal auto driving learner’s permit can operate them alone and many drive them to school. The youngsters may drive the carts elsewhere as allowed by law as long as a licensed adult is with them in the front seats.
This metro area has also been named one of the Best Places to Retire in America and the numerous golf courses locally have been part of the draw for retirees. The nearly 100 miles of golf cart paths make transportation easy for senior citizens.
Peachtree Golf Cart iPhone App
A Typical Daily Commute
Great City Rankings
This community has been rated on several Top 10 Lists, including
- A consistent A+ ranking by Niche.com city rankings.
- A recent past ranking as number one most energetic American city.
- Alternative energy: While neighbor Atlanta is known as the city of highest gas prices in the nation, Peachtree City saves gas by using electric golf carts.
- This community as part of the Atlanta Metro Area places among the five best US cities for telecommuting.
Awesome Local Attractions
Atlanta Motor Speedway is only about 15 miles east of Peachtree City at 1500 Tara Place, Hampton, GA 30228. The NASCAR Cup Series holds a major race twice a year at this track and other races fill out the calendar year. Between races, swap meets, driving schools, an airshow and other events bring visitors into town.
Chattahoochee Bend State Park: Visitors can rent a canoe for a day of paddling in the local river or they can camp and go fishing. Camping ranges from tents to RVs and even lean-to arrangements called Adirondack-style shelters. These shelters can be comfortable in warmer weather, but insects may interfere with your sleep.
FDR's Little White House: As portrayed in the TV miniseries Eleanor and Franklin (1976), Warm Springs was the site to which FDR traveled in hopes of finding a cure for his polio. Meanwhile, he was able to hide his leg braces and wheelchair from the press. The hot springs and massages failed to cure the President, but he kept a house here as a vacation home. A nearby state park offers camping in primitive sites, tent sites, RV slots, a group cabin, and cottages.
Largest Companies in the Peachtree City Metro Area
- Panasonic Automotive Systems Company of America: This manufacturing company provides parts and systems for all models of Honda cars.
- Eaton: Manufacturer of lighting products. This company purchased Cooper Industries.
- Hoshizaki America, Inc. :Manufacturer of refrigeration and ice-making machinery.
- TDK Corporation: Manufacturer of media storage devices.
- Avery Dennison: Manufacturer of paper products.
- Gerresheimer Health and Medical: Manufacturer of inhalers, insulin systems, and other medical items.
- NCR Corporation: Creator and distributor of hardware, software, and related products.
- Wencor Company: Defense and aerospace products and services.
Unique Educational Opportunities
Kroger School of Cooking
Self improvement classes in culinary arts at two locations:
- 1101 N Peachtree Pkwy, Peachtree City, GA - (770) 486-7208
- 12460 Crabapple Road; Alpharetta, GA 30004
Not many major chain grocery stores offer cooking classes today. This one offers a range of individual classes, culinary camps, parent/child classes, and other training within the Crabapple Road Kroger in Alpharetta, just north of Atlanta and in Peachtree City. Qualified chef-instructors all come from the premier restaurants in the Greater Atlanta Area.
Colleges and Universities
- Art Institute of Atlanta/Dream Center Education: This private school for high school juniors and seniors and young adults focuses on creative professions in art and design.
- Clayton State University and Clayton State University at Fayette
- Falcon Aviation Academy; 95 East Aviation Way Newnan, GA 30263
- Georgia Military College; 255 Veterans Pkwy, Fayetteville, GA 30214
- Griffin Technical College; 501 Varsity Rd, Griffin, GA 30223
- Immanuel Baptist Seminary; 195 Fischer Rd, Sharpsburg, GA 30277
- Point Christian University; 800 Commerce Dr, Peachtree City, GA 30269
- South of Broadway Drama School; 135 Huddleston Rd, Peachtree City, GA 30269
- University of West Georgia; 1601 Maple St, Carrollton, GA 30118
- Fayette County Chamber of Commerce. fayettechamber.org Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- Glassdoor. www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/peachtree-city-reviews-SRCH_IL.0,14_IC1155672.htm Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- Visit Peachtree City visitpeachtreecity.com/about-us/ Retrieved April 9, 2018.
© 2009 Patty Inglish