- Travel and Places»
- Hotels, Lodging & Vacation Packages
Eat Well, Have a Drink and be Merry all Week Long!
Palapas for Everyone!
You Deserve Some Luxury!
You Can Have it All
When we travel for leisure our main goal is to eat what ever we choose, drink anything we fancy from water to a Long Island Ice Tea, and be merry with tours, activities and entertainment, but it can be pricey to do all these things unless...........
Before I was employed in the travel industry, my biggest expectation on travel was to go to Hawaii. There is nothing wrong with Hawaii of course, it's Americas tropical island! But so many people never think of going past their countries borders.
I have now traveled many times to the Caribbean as well as Mexico and these destinations have something no others have.....all-inclusive resorts! I never have had more fun and ease then when going to a place where your room, food, drinks (all drinks), entertainment and daily activities including some kind of water sports as well as tips were all included (prepaid), making it a wonderfully hassle free vacation. Just put that wallet in the room safe until you have to leave! (for more information on what an all-inclusive resort is, as well as traveling well including free air, see attachments at the bottom of the article)
If you HAVE heard of this concept, you might think it's too limiting or that you MUST stay at that property the whole time, not so. Just like a cruise there is a plethora of tours you can add to enhance your experience of the island and many of tours also include a meal. Please note however, most tours are an additional cost (as with a cruise), but not always as some all-inclusive resorts also may included a tour or tours so ask your travel agent for the best deal. Also, just because you have paid for all your meals at the resort doesn't mean you can't eat elsewhere. You certainly can, and as long as it's just done a few times you still will come out ahead.
The Hospitality is Warm and Inviting
The Pool is Always Right Outside Your Room
An Awesome Resort and a Gracious Culture
The Majestic Colonial Resort is an "all peoples" resort. It is a great place for a picturesque wedding, a family reunion, families with children of any age, as well as couples and people who are just looking to party. You can join in every drinking party available, dance and gamble the night away, or have a quite escape with lavish food, exotic drinks and a good book to read under a palapa (little thatch covered dwellings for shade on the beach), facing the turquoise blue Caribbean sea.
The Spanish culture of this island is warm and inviting. The people that work at the Majestic Colonial will go out of their way to accommodate your wishes. When we went to the breakfast buffet almost every day (because it was so extraordinary in selection) the waiters there, very quickly learned our tastes and anticipated them, for instance, as soon as we sat down, they knew we liked coffee and cream and got it ready before we had to ask.
The grounds are exquisite. Always being attended to, are picture perfect, lush and tropical. The pool is an amazing 400 meters! It extends from the beach to the lobby area which is the full length of the property. There is an "always happening" swim up bar, and I have never seen so many palapas at any property I've ever been too. At most resorts you have to get up very early and "save" your spot at the beach or pool as seating is limited. You never have to worry about getting a good spot at the pool or beach here, so sleep in!
Below are the inclusions taken from their website (colonialpuntacanaresort.com)
Features & Activities
- 24 hours All Inclusive
- 9 bars located in different areas of the hotel. Opening at different hours
- 6 restaurants. Some only open for dinner
- 1 After Hours snack bar: " La Bodeguita de Majestic"
- Sport Bar
- Disco located at the Majestic Elegance
- Casino ($)
- Fitness Center
- Convention Center up to 600 people ($)
- Spa ($)
- Golf near by (5 minutes away from resort main entrance) ($)
- Theatre for shows and entertainment
- 400 meter long swimming pool
- Wedding facilities: Catholic Church, Gazebo, Beach and Tropical Gardens ($)
- Caribbean Street with boutiques
- Supervised Children's Clubs (4-14 years old) with swimming pool
- Babyland (0-3 years old) included when accompanied by an adult
- Babysitting service available at extra cost ($)
- Video Games for children in kids club
- Daily and nightly entertainment
- Live Music at the plaza bar (night)
- Live piano music at the Lobby bar (night)
- Swimming pool for children near the Pool Bar Activities Area
- Umbrellas, towels and lounge chairs at the beach and the swimming pool
- 2 integrated Jacuzzis within the swimming pool
- Business Centre with internet access ($)
- Tennis courts with lights
- Multi Purpose Basketball Court
- Ping-pong, pool tables, mini football, French balls, darts
- Medical center ( 24 hrs) ($)
- Laundry Services ($)
- High speed internet in all rooms ($)
- Wireless internet in Lobby and Convention Center ($)
- Cash Machine . Major credit cards and most Bank Cards accepted
- Room Service available 08:00 to 23:00 hrs
- Guest Service (Reservations, General Resort and Local Information, rent a car.) and any special needs
- Water sports available
Just an FYI, if you plan to bring you computer, iPad etc, here are the fees for that:
There is an Internet Business Center in the main lobby directly in front of the front desk where there are 10 computers with a web cam and a printer available. The cost to use them is US $5 dollars every 30 minutes.
To use your computer in the room, the hotel charges you US $10 for 24 hours or if you want to use the WIFI internet access in the main lobby the cost is US $3, an hour.
Get Ready to be Spoiled in Your Private Jacuzzi
The rooms are beautiful with almost all of them having jacuzzi tubs as well as very large showers. The rooms are large with beautiful king canopied beds, as well as multiple beds for families, sitting areas, a desk, and a stocked mini bar serviced twice a day. Our room was centered close to the middle of the property (2nd floor). The swim up bar could be seen easily as well as the activities going on there from wedding receptions to dancing contests yet if our sliding glass door was closed it was as quiet as a butterfly.
- Welcome amenities
- Furnished balcony or patio
- Separate sitting area
- Climate control
- Ceiling fan
- Handheld shower head
- Makeup/shaving mirror
- Slippers and bathrobes
- Separate bathtub and shower
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- safe deposit box
- bathroom amenities (shampoo, soap lotion etc)
Overview of the Majestic Colonial
Some Specifics you Want to Know
Being in the travel industry for many years, I was able to enjoy some amazing resorts. Each had their own charm and unique ambiance, but one of my most favorite resorts was the Majestic Colonial located in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic or DR.
This island of Hispaniola is uniquely comprised of two nations, Haiti and the Dominican Republic. (The only other island in the Caribbean which contains two separate nations is Saint Martin, French side: St-Martin; Dutch side: St Maarten)
Some general facts about the DR (information obtained from Kwintessential.co.uk)
Location: Caribbean, eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola, between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, east of Haiti.
Capital: Santo Domingo
Climate: tropical maritime; little seasonal temperature variation; seasonal variation in rainfall
Religions: Roman Catholic 95%
Government: representative democracy
Language in the Dominican Republic
Spanish is the official language of the country and which street signs and restaurant menus are written in. Even though the people linked to the tourist trade generally speak English, knowing some Spanish is a great advantage.
A map of the Dominican Republic
Have you ever traveled outside your own country?
- Why pay for an all-inclusive ?
A wonderful concept that not only makes travel more affordable, but makes your vacation relaxed and worry free
- How to travel well with free air and great hotels on a budget.
Travel can be a wonderful experience without breaking the bank. Read about the tips for cheaper travel and the luxury of having a travel agent on your side.