Travelling to US from India for the First Time
Google Map Showing India and US
Tips for Travelling from India to US for First Time.
Travelling from India to US:
Hello friends, I have listed below some of things you should be aware of if you are travelling from INDIA to US on short business trip, Vacation, Studies and long business trip. This guide will help you ease your travel and also act as a guide to help you at every stage.
1. First book your airline tickets. There are many websites , where you can find good deals on air tickets. Some of them include makemytrip.com, cheaptickets.com , orbitz.com etc
Also you can book your tickets from airindia.com. Recommended is check with makemytrip.com
2. Once your tickets are booked, now start looking for accommodation. So that once you land here you know where you will be staying. If you don’t have friends then you can book a hotel. Also booking hotels you can also refer to the cheaptickets.com, orbitz.com, expedia.com etc.
3. If you are staying in a hotel and like to have home made food then you can book a hotel with kitchen. A hotel with kitchen will have a stove and few utensils for cooking.
4. Start your shopping for your trip to US. Based on my experience everyone need to bring almost every basic thing you need on a daily basis. These items are sufficient enough up to 3-4 months minimum. By when you will become familiar with the place and people.
5. Make sure your not bringing things in access, so that they don’t expire by the time you use them.
6. You can also get your India cell phone here for use. Almost all GSM phones can be used in the US with a pre paid cellular companies. There are 2 companies which offer you prepaid cards AT&T and T-Mobile are the 2 service providers.
7. If you already have a Laptop with you can bring the same, so that you have an access to internet as soon as you arrive. Internet is available in many airpots as well. If you don’t have a laptop and have plans for buying them please hold on…you can buy a very good laptop for cheap price in US than in INDIA. Check dell.com or deals2buy.com for good deals on laptops are other electronics.
8. Get to know more about the place to which you are travelling. Information like kind of weather over the year and the current temperature. So that based on that you can bring some warm clothes. You can check for information in goggle buy typing your destination name.
9. Buying the basic things like food, ready to eat, food grams and also few utensils for you to cook at least for few days.
10. Before you travel buy some good travel insurance and also you can buy a health insurance. Unlike in India, here medical services are very expensive without Health insurance. Try find some good insurance company in google. Also there are few companies who provide health Insurance before you travel. Example HDFC, ICICI etc
11. Make sure you have all the documents, whichever is applicable to you before you travel. Keep your tickets and passport and any other documents in a separate place. Has this will be checked at various stages before boarding the plane.
12. You are allowed to carry 2 big bags , 1 cabin bag and I laptop bag. Please check the airline which are travelling for dimensions and allowed weight limits if any. Usually you can carry about 23kg in each big bag and up to 8kg in cabin bag.
13. You can pack all your stuffs which are less expensive in your big bags. All important documents and expensive , delicate items should be packed in your cabin bags. Because the check in bags(2 big ones may not be handled smoothly.
14. Get some foreign currencies and also some Indian currencies. You also find foreign exchange stalls in all airports. But these could be little expensive. Get more of small denomination.
15. Food will be provided in the plane up to four times. So you don’t have to pack any food items with your to eat in plane.
16. Once you are here, you can buy calling cards to call your family back in india. SOme of them are airtelcallinghome, reliance calling card, reliable calling card and many more etc.
For more information Please drop in your comments and how this could be improved.