ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Types of Dependent Visas to the United States

Updated on January 1, 2014

Even with the US Immigration Bill in a fix, scores of people are still migrating to US. After all, the country is the dream land for anyone who wants a world-class education or wants to build a successful career. There are many types of Study, Work, Business, Visit and Dependent Visas to US to suit the needs of everyone.

Now, what about the dependents of the people who do migrate to the US on any of the aforementioned visas? Are there enough options for them? What are dependents allowed to do and not do in the States? These are the questions we are going to tackle today.


Who are Dependents?

First of all, let us see who exactly are considered as dependents by the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).

The family members of the person who is already living in the United States on a valid visa are considered as dependents. This family may include spouse of the Visa holder and any unmarried children under the age of 21.

However, there are some conditions on the dependents’ access to many of the country’s benefits and these conditions change from Visa to Visa. So, let us take a look at the different types of Dependent Visas:

H-4 Visa
F-2 Visa
L-2 Visa
K-1 Visa
No. of Visas granted in 2012
Primary Visa
H1-B Visa
F-1 Visa
L-1 Visa
US Citizen
Till the primary applicant's H1-B Visa is valid
Till the primary applicant's F-1 Visa is valid
Till the primary applicant's L-1 Visa is valid
90 days
Allowed to Study in US
Yes (Part-time)
Yes (Full-time)
Not Applicable
Allowed to Work in US
Yes (Only after EAD approval from USCIS)
Not Applicable

H-4 Dependent Visa

This is the most popular Dependent Visa that people avail as this is available for dependents of H1-B Visa holders.

People who obtain their H-4 Dependent Visa are strictly not allowed to study or work in US on their dependent Visa. However, they can convert their visa to a non-immigrant F-1 Visa, and upon receiving it, they can study in US.

Also, they do not have access to a Social Security Number, and it is only valid as long as the primary applicant’s H1-B Visa is valid.


F-2 Dependent Visa

This is for the dependents of a person who is studying in US under an F-1 Visa. Any dependents who wish to visit or join the F-1 Visa holder can apply for an F-2 Dependent Visa.

F-2 Visa holders can enter the US along with their spouse or join him/her later. Also, they can travel in and out of the US or stay in the US continuously as long as they maintain valid F-2 status.

F-2 Visa holders can stay in the US as long as the principal F-1 Visa holder maintains valid status. Taking up part-time or full-time working on the F-2 Visa is not allowed. To be able to work, the dependent needs to obtain a work visa.

F-2 spouses can study part time and F-2 child can only participate in full-time elementary or secondary school (i.e., from kindergarten to twelfth grade) study. F-2 child or spouse can take part in a vocational or recreational study.

USA Fiancé Visa/K-1 Visa

This is a non-immigrant visa that allows the holder to visit or settle with their Fiancé in USA by getting married. This visa can be granted only to the Fiancé of a US Citizen.

The validity period for a K-1 Visa is 90 days, and within the validity period, the foreign Fiancé citizen should be married after which, the foreign-citizen can apply for change of status to a LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) with the USCIS.

L-2 Dependent Visa

This is designed for the dependent family members of L-1 Visa. An L-2 Visa holder can stay in the US for the entire duration the L-1 visa holder is allowed to stay. This visa allows the holder to travel in and out of the US whenever they want.

L-2 Visa holders can take admission for full-time study course in any university in the United States. However, to work in US with an L-2 Visa, EAD approval from the USCIS is necessary.


get directions

United States:
United States

get directions

How would you rate the Dependent Visa System of the US?

See results

Two points to be noted regarding these Visas:

  1. All these Visas are only valid as long as the Primary Visa holder’s (on whom you are depending on) Visa is valid.
  2. The H-4, F-2 and L-2 Dependent Visas are Non-Immigrant Visas and the Visa holders need to leave America after the expiry of the Visa.

If you or a friend of yours is residing in the United States on H1-B, L-1 or F-1 Visas or he/she is a Citizen of the United States, make note of these features and restrictions that are applied to their dependents before applying for any of these Dependent Visas.



    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image


      3 years ago

      Permanent Resident Visa, Registered Immigration Consultancy, Immigration Consultants In Hyderabad, Canada Immigration, Australia Immigration, Student Visa Consultants, Authorized Immigration Consultants, etc all services available at Akkam. For more information visit

    • Anita Anne Asra profile imageAUTHOR

      Opulentus Akhila Suri 

      4 years ago from Hyderabad

      Thank you for reading and commenting on my Hub CraftytotheCore. :)

    • CraftytotheCore profile image


      4 years ago

      This is very interesting. I have had many friends come to the US from all over for work. I never quite knew how this worked.

    • Anita Anne Asra profile imageAUTHOR

      Opulentus Akhila Suri 

      4 years ago from Hyderabad

      Thank you FlourishAnyway! :) Please do let me know if you have any ideas to improvise my writing or any particular Hub.

    • FlourishAnyway profile image


      4 years ago from USA

      This should prove very helpful to people. Good information.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)