Udaipur- the City of Lakes, the Venice of East or the Most Romantic Getaway?
Udaipur is a historic city situated in southern part of Rajasthan, India. It was the capital of Mewar kingdom and was founded in 1553 by Maharana Udai Singh II. Udaipur is a perfect combination of ancient culture and beauty gifted by nature. Here you can see royal palaces, forts, natural as well as manmade lakes, gardens etc. I have listed out things you can do in Udaipur so that you yourself can decide what this city should be called as.
A city where even the air is tinted with royalty...!!!!
- Monsoon Palace is also known as Sajjangarh palace. It is situated at a hilltop from where you can see the beauty of Udaipur city. It becomes lush green during the rainy season and totally gets covered with clouds. If you want to view one of the best sunsets, then you must visit. During the night it is lightened by orange and yellow lights. The best time to visit is either early mornings or during sunset. timings 9:30 am to 7:00 pm
- Sajjangarh Biological Park If you love to see wildlife in Udaipur, then this is the place for you. Situated at the foothills of monsoon palace, it has several species of animals such as Asiatic lions, leopards, ostriches, Indian sloth bear, foxes, turtles etc. If you are lucky enough, you can even see a white tiger in this park. The trek is quite long so it would be better to take bicycles or hire a golf cart, if you don't want unexpected cardio workout. timings 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Fateh Sagar Lake I think this place is known to everyone who goes to Udaipur because it has everything to offer. You can enjoy beautiful views, clean water, speed boat rides, food stalls, camel and horse rides. It is a man-made lake and Udaipur Solar Observatory is situated in its centre. This place can be visited at anytime of the day. But it comes to the full life at evening. Just walk on the road by the lake and admire it's beauty and yes, don't forget to have the famous hot coffee at Fateh Sagar. It is served in terracotta mugs called kulhar.
Have you been to Fateh Sagar?
- Ambrai Ghat Now comes one of the most romantic places in Udaipur. Ambrai Ghat is in the old city of Udaipur and to go there you need to pass through narrow lanes and as the lane ends, you are welcomed by Lake Pichola and City Palace. Ambrai Ghat is very scenic and is surrounded by a number of nice hotels and some of the most romantic restaurants. They serve good food and drinks. Some are lake view, some are rooftop. If you did not have a romantic dinner date with your better half in any of these, then your Udaipur trip is incomplete.
- Gangaur Ghat A location in Udaipur where scenes of some famous Bollywood movies were shot. It is opposite to Ambrai ghat and has some temples around. You can just sit and relax here in the evening.
- Bagore ki haveli museum If you love to see and experience the Rajasthani culture, then you will just enjoy this place. It is just adjacent to Gangaur Ghat. Get there by 6 pm so that you can get ticket 6:15 pm.pm. And you will see some of the best puppet shows and Rajasthani traditional dances from different parts of Rajasthan.
- Kumbhalgarh Fort You can see parts of this fort in a number of Bollywood movies. Situated at a distance of 90kms from Udaipur, this fort has a guard wall of 36kms which is second longest in the world after The Great Wall of China. The wall is quite high and around 15 feet wide.Even the fort itself is at a very good height that you can see it from a distance. You won't get mobile networks easily here so be prepared accordingly. There are a lot of attractions in and around Kumbhalgarh. There are a number of old temples and monuments in the fort. One of them is Shiv temple just opposite to the Fortress. It has 6 feet tall Shivalinga and it is said that Rana Kumbha of Kumbhalgarh used to sit on the ground near Shivalinga to do abhishek (pouring milk over Shivalinga). So you can guess how tall he might be as when sitting on the ground his arms could reach 6 feet height.
If you plan night stay at some hotel around Kumbhalgarh, then you can enjoy Light and sound show. Also it is situated in a wildlife sanctuary so if you are a wildlife enthusiast then can go for forest safari in open jeep and can spot a number of wild animals and also flora. It becomes very beautiful and lush green in the rainy season.
There is a pond before Kumbhalgarh when going from Udaipur. You have to take a right turn from a village and go inside for a few kilometres. The pond is full of cat fishes and you can feed them. The density of fishes is very high in the pond that you will wonder.
If you are an adventurous kind of person, recently zip lining is also started in Kumbhalgarh fort. Where you can fly over the grooves around the fort.
- City Palace It is a palace of which a small part is converted into a luxurious hotel and in the rest of the part, the royal family of Udaipur resides. It has very beautifully carved edifices. As you enter the Tripolia Gate, you are welcomed by a number of mahals like Sheesh mahal, Zenana mahal, Suraj gokhda, Dilkhush Mahal etc. You will see some of the greatest pieces of fine arts, marble work, mirror work, silver work. Do carry your students id if you want to avail discounts. timings 7 am to 11 pm.
- Sukhadia Circle If you are a foodie, then you must visit this place. It is a round about and is very huge such that there is a park and a pond inside this. You can do paddle boating, and camel riding here. It surrounded by a number of food stalls and you can taste a variety of street foods like chinese, south Indian, Italian etc.
- Saheliyon ki baari It is a garden and a courtyard situated near to the city palace. It has various artistic fountains, lotus ponds, marble elephants and a small museum. If you go there on a hot sunny day, you won't feel the heat because it has so many fountains, big and small and water pools. It is named so because it was laid for the princess along with her 48 young women attendants.
Shilpgram Fair In case you are visiting Udaipur at the time of new year, then this is a must go destination for you. Shilpgram is a place situated at the outskirts of the city and a fair is organized there from 21st Dec to 31st Dec every year. Traders from all over India come in this fair to sell embroidery, handloom and handicraft products. You can also enjoy food from different parts of India. It opens in the morning but the best time to go is in evening.
Now it might be clear in your mind that all the names given to the city of Udaipur suits it very well. In short we can call it The City of Lakes or Venice of the East or A Romantic Getaway.
Where to stay?
Udaipur has a variety of hotels in and around the city. I have tried to sort out the best ones out of each category.
5 star hotels
4 star hotels
3 star hotels
Taj Lake Palace
The Leela Palace
Jaisamand Island Resort
The Oberoi Udaivilas
The Lalit Laxmivilas Palace
Treebo Brahma Nivas