Visit Redding and Shasta County, California!
Mt. Shasta's north-western face
The Northstate has it all!
If you are planning a trip to Northern California, please be aware, it is not like the rest of California. It is beautiful, majestic, wild, and yet has a grip on city life that is comfortable, and convenient. Redding is a city of 90,000 people that serves as the metropolitan hub for the surrounding 3 counties. There are so many things to do here that I personally had to make a sort of Bucket List just to keep track of it all. We have city parks, museums, state and national parks, a water slide park, and all the open space your heart could desire within a 15 minute drive in any direction. We have walking trails, walk bridges (the infamous Sundial bridge), and hiking trials complete with waterfall endings. You can pick from hundreds of hotels, camping sites, RV parks, and everything in between. If you can drive it, ride in it or on it, then park it here and plan to stay awhile, because there is so much to see and do, you may never want to leave!
- Turtle Bay
Welcome to TURTLE BAY EXPLORATION PARK Redding CA VISIT THE PARK VIEW CALENDAR
- Whiskeytown National Recreational Area (U.S. National Park Service)
Whiskeytown National Recreational Area
- Lassen Volcanic National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Lassen Volcanic National Park is so much fun to visit. You have to see the geothermal bubbling mudpots! A must see kind of place.
My personal photo collection from the area.
Bucket List for Redding and surrounding area!
- Visit Shasta Dam, and take the dam tour to go inside the dam itself!
- Rent a houseboat on Shasta Lake. It's a real treat!
- Raft down the Sacramento River, or head up west to the Trinity River area near Weaverville for some whitewater rafting.
- Visit the Shasta Lake Caverns for a cool underground spectacle.
- Ski at Mount Shasta ski park.
- Hike up Mt. Shasta (not for me, but other people enjoy it!)
- Bring your boat, or rent one, and go water skiing.
- Visit Whiskeytown Lake's beaches and get some sun!
- Canoe with a guided tour on Whiskeytown Lake.
- Take the trail to the recently discovered Whiskeytown Falls. Bring a camera!
- Camp out at the numerous camping spots all over the county. With or without bathrooms!
- Bring your RV, and enjoy the sights from wherever you choose!
- Visit Turtle Bay Museum.
- Walk the Sundial Bridge over the Sacramento river, and continue on to the beautiful arboretum gardens on the other side.
- Enjoy the cool breeze from the Sacramento River up close and personal at Lake Redding and Caldwell park.
- Watch the Salmon swim up the fish ladder at the Caldwell park viewing station.
- Bike or walk the Sacramento River trails.
- Jump in the freezing cold river at the boat dock like the locals do! (Summer temps over 110 degrees make us do this frequently)
- Visit WaterWorks Park for a day, and have a blast!
- Visit our local Redding Recreation Public Swimming pool for some fun with the kids.
- Drive to Mt. Lassen Volcanic National Park for an unforgettable geothermal experience, and play in the snow in the middle of July!
- Drive to Eskimo Hill on during winter months for the best downhill sledding around!
- Visit the Subway Caves (underground lava flow tubes) for a "cool" experience. Must bring your own flashlight!
- Travel all the way to Burney and hike down to Burney Falls.
- Walk the beautiful and peaceful trails at Lema Ranch. A local favorite walking spot.
- Stay in town and catch a live show at the beautiful Cascade Theatre.
- Catch a recently new movie for only $1.50 at Movies 8.
- Press your luck at Win River Casino, and have a great dinner too!
- Check out some of the other "fine" dining available in downtown. Mmmm.
- Visit our outlet mall in neighboring Anderson, to satisfy the shopper in you.
- Do you love WalMart? We have 2 supercenters within 20 miles of each other, so nothing is ever out of stock!
- Fly into our modest Redding airport and save yourself the 2 1/2 hour drive from Sacramento!
- Visit one of our numerous area churches, including the well-known Bethel Church of Redding. Not your style? We have services in nearly every size and denomination!
- Visit our very own Big League Dreams sports park complete with replica fields, to watch a game of softball. You can just watch from inside the clubhouse (with bar), or bring a glove and you could get picked up for a game when teams need a fill-in. Games start every hour from 6pm-10pm weekdays. Tournaments are often being played on weekends.
Redding is the heart of the Northstate
Great walking trails. Peaceful, serene. Three trail lengths, with ponds. A favorite with locals.
I hope you'll come see for yourself!
There is so much more to do in this gorgeous area that I could spend many more hours thinking, reminiscing and writing about them all here. There is huge booklet called 101 Things to do in Shasta County, that can be found at some visitor centers. If you see it, grab it for more ideas on what to do. But, for now, I hope you make a trip to our area for a visit. I think I have given you plenty of food for thought, and probably more things than you can do in one visit anyway! Maybe when I have more time, I will add more photos, or items to the list, just to keep it fresh. Enjoy!!