- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Europe
Visiting Connolly Railroad Station, Dublin, Ireland: Italianate creation by William Deane Butler, completed 1846
Called by various names over a century and a half
Some history and features
The Station was opened in 1844 while work on the building continued, its architect was William Deane Butler (c.1794-1857)(1).
The structure is executed in the Italianate style particularly popular in the early Victorian period. Its central tower and two smaller, symmetrical side towers are among its most memorable features, as are also its series of Neoclassical pillars.
Situated to the north of the Liffey River (Irish: An Life ), Connolly thus serves rail connections to the north (including Belfast, Northern Ireland) and north-west of Ireland's capital. In turn, Dubin Heuston Station (Irish: Baile Átha Cliath Stáisiún Heuston) serves western and south western rail links.
The building contains office space, some of which serves as headquarters of Irish Rail (Irish: Iarnród Éireann ).
The Station also serves the suburban rail network known as DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit).
The building has been known by various names. When opened, it was known simply as Dublin Station, since it was Dublin's first, when the railroad arrived at the city. Then subsequently, and for years afterwards, it was called Amiens Station, taking its name from the adjacent road. In 1966, its name was officially changed to Dublin Connolly Station (Irish: Baile Átha Cliath Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile ) being re-named for Irish Republican leader James Connolly, who was executed in 1916, following his rôle in the Easter Rising (2).
Given the Station's past name changes, the non-Irish visitor might be tempted to wonders how permanent the Connolly name will be (although strongly Republican Dubliners would doubtless insist that this is not open to discussion. Maybe they are correct!)
June 26, 2012
(1) Other buildings for which Architect Butler was responsible included St Mary's Cathedral, Kilkenny.
(2) Similarly, another of Dublin's railroad stations, formerly known as Kingsbridge Station, is now known as Dublin Heuston Station, re-named for Seán Heuston, another Irish Republican leader executed in 1916 following the Easter Rising. it is thus interesting to be able to trace Irish Republican history in Dublin's built environment, not least through the names of prominent buildings and streets.
Also worth seeing
In Dublin itself, included among the numerous buildings of interest to the visitor are: the nearby Custom House (Irish: Teach an Chustaim ); Dublin Castle (Irish: Caisleán Bhaile Átha Cliath ), Leinster House (Irish: Teach Laighean ), Merrion Square (Irish: Cearnóg Mhuirfean ); Government Buildings (Irish: Tithe an Rialtais ); Trinity College (Irish: Coláiste na Tríonóide ); the General Post Office (Irish: Ard-Oifig an Phoist ) on O'Connell Street (Irish: Sráid Uí Chonaill ); the Ha'penny — or: Halfpenny — Bridge; (Irish: Droichead na Leathphingine ); the Four Courts (Irish: Na Ceithre Cúirteanna ); the City Hall (Irish: Halla na Cathrach ); and many others.
How to get there: Aer Lingus flies from New York and Boston to Dublin Airport (Irish: Aerfort Bhaile Átha Cliath ), from where car rental is available. Car parking can be difficult in Dublin City centre and a good way to get around the city is by Dublin Bus (Irish: Bus Átha Cliath ). Some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. You are advised to check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the Custom House, Dublin, Ireland: historic, neo-Classical building by James Gandon, dating
- Visiting the statue of Wolfe Tone, in Dublin, Ireland: remembering the leader of the United Irishmen
- Visiting the Four Courts, Dublin: neo-Classicism by Thomas Cooley and James Gandon, completed 1802
- Visiting the Tassagh Viaduct, Northern Ireland: a monumental piece of industrial architecture recall
- Visiting Church House, Belfast, Northern Ireland: Presbyterian Assembly Hall and Spires Centre