Westchester County Gems - My Favorite Places in Westchester
My favorite places in Westchester...
This hub is a resource for visitors and residents of the Westchester County.
It contains some of my favorite places in our county and I have been a resident for over 35 years. I have organized this site by municipalities in alphabetical order. If you have any suggestions or additions or corrections, please forward to me. The places I recommend have been personally visited by myself and I attest to the accuracy of my report. Enjoy your stay!
Disclaimer: Any places I suggest is only for your amusement. I do not receive any compensation for endorsing any organization. Any revenue derived from HubPages are donated to the CCNY Varsity Women’s Fencing Team.
The County web site starts here. Westchestergov.com
Map is Courtesy of www.WestchesterTowns.com
- July 2007
Disclaimer: the information provided here are current as of my writing. obviously, any changes that occur afterwards cannot be anticipated. I will do my best to update this but some discrepancies is possible and I apologize in advance.
- Ardsley web site
Ardsley web site
Dumplings + Noodles - Best dumpling place in Westchester.
- Croton-on-Hudson web site
Croton-on-Hudson web site
- Croton Gorge Park A great place for a picnic or a hike along the reservoir.
- Elmsford web site
Elmsford web site.
- Town of Irvington
Town of Irvington web site
- The hometown of Washington Irving
Rip Van Wrinkle
Mt. Pleasant (Hawthorne,valhalla)
- Caramoor Center for Music and Arts - membership $100 entitles to yearly events...
- Town of Ossining
Town of Ossining web site.
- City of Peekskill
Peekskill official site
- Paramount theater -
- Waterfront Park - Free outdoor concert during summer Wednesday evenings. You can launch your own boat onto the Hudson River.
- Hiking to Anthony's Nose - lookout off Bear Mountain Parkway.
- Chateau Rive Apartments -
- Downtown peekskill has many Art galleries, restaurants and shops. Every Saturday morning during the summer, there is a farmers market. (latest opening is the Hudson Room.) You won't be disappointed. They also feature live entertainment on weekends.
- Factoria - Restaurant Fin and Brew on the Hudson, includes local craft beer River Outpost and outdoor bar. Also, game room and outdoor climb at Spin Hudson.
- A Touch of Class - Carribean fusion restaurant.
- The Official Web site for the Town of Pelham, NY, Westchester County
This award winning web site is a model to be replicated.
- City of White Plains
City of White Plains web site
Favorites of White Plains...
- City of Yonkers
City of Yonkers web site
These are places I recommend in my hometown Yorktown Hts. I've lived here for over 20 years and I am proud to be a resident.
- Jewel of Himalaya
A great restaurant written up in the New York Times. A second place opened in Scarsdale.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
About 40 miles from New York City, offers day trippers a day of fun and relaxation. Picnic areas, fishing, boating, pool & lakes all accessible!
- Yorktown web site
- Winery at St. George
A new facility for wine tasting in Mohegan Lake, NY.
St. George Winery
Here are some other unique places of interest that is within 30 minutes drive from Westchester county.
Walk Over the Hudson
- Bear Mt. INN across the Bear Mt. Bridge and South on 9W. You can ice skate in the winter, picnic in the summer and visit a zoo.
- West Point Museum - Across the Bear Mt. Bridge and North on 9W about 10 miles. It is a museum full of history of warfare. The kids will really enjoy it.
- Perkins Memorial Drive - One of the Most scenic roadway in the USA as recommended by National Geographics Society. You can get a breath taking view at the top of the Mountain and also get a unique view of the Bear Mountain Bridge.
- Woodbury Commons Outlet Mall - The largest outdoor mall of its kind with over 220 name brand stores with discounted prices. It is by far the best place to shop.
- Cold Spring - Just north of the Bear Mt. Bridge on Route 9D about 10 miles. A charming river town with antique stores and bed and breakfasts and restaurants, well worth a day trip.
- Buddist Temple in Putnam - North on Taconic Parkway and turn right on Route 301 about 2 miles.
It also has the best vegetarian lunch on Sat. and Sun. (between 12 noon and 1 PM) $5 adult, $3 Children.
- A walkway over the Hudson River in Dutchess Count Restoration project.
- Palisades Park and hiking trails
- Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory - A campus extension of Columbia University
Woodbury Commons - largest Outlet Mall in the US
A Gem of a Hiking Trail - updated 4/8/2017
I discovered a new hiking trail just north of Westchester county. It is called Constitution Marsh Sactuary. Located just south of Cold Spring, NY, it is a spot that is ideal for beginner hikers. It is just off a dirt road called Indian Brook Rd. off Route 9D. It is unmarked and easy to miss. The parking is very limited, only 8 spots available.
The trial is only 1 mile long and runs down to the river front. It follows a brook and with a trail over some rocky area eventually meet up with the marsh land along the Hudson River. The view is fantastic overlooking the Hudson and just across from the West Point Military Academy.
There is a 700 foot walkway that takes you into the marsh. You can see wild life abundant. There are a few spots with benches where you can sit and picnic and just relax and enjoy nature.
- Tornado in Westchester - July 2006.
- Also golfball size hail in Yorktown Hts. one week later.
© 2006 Jack Lee