What Should I Do in Santorini? A Triumphant Cruising Bonanza
A Rich History + Incredible Views = Just What the Doctor Ordered
Ah, a relaxing vacation. Sun, sand, and intellectual stimuli. What more could you need? Well - sitting on the beach isn’t always enough to experience the joy life has to offer.
We often end up searching for more things to do once the novelty of the ocean wears off. Sure, you could spend your whole holiday tanning and watching the waves crash, but why just return home tanned when you can return home tanned and smarter too?
An All-in-One Tour
If you want to mix history and sun, why not plan a vacation to the picturesque island of Santorini?
Here, you’ll find a combination of sun kisses and informative bites with Santorini’s numerous sites and landmarks.
Explore archaeological excellence or hike through trails and discover uncommon local markets. Whatever the journey requires, Santorini is the destination to explore!
What Should I do in Santorini?
Your expectations will surely be surpassed when you take part in one of the following activities this island has to offer:
- Pack your hiking gear! Take a hiking trip from Fira to Oia and discover the hidden gems the locals have in store.
- A unique way of exploring: Take a Jet Ski tour to the Caldera volcano and discover how nature developed Santorini as we know it today.
- An archaeological adventure: Visit and explore the prehistoric settlement of Akrotiri. Be one with history by walking through these incredible excavations.
- Enchantment is upon you: Get back in touch with your inner child by visiting one of the five wondrous Venetian castles. Relive a world of Kings and pirates.
- Wine is the best medicine: With Santorini’s long tradition in wine, it would be a travesty not to go on a wine tour. Because of its rich volcanic soil, wine is Santorini’s most admired creation.
- Bring your camera: The monastery of Prophet Elias is built on the highest point of the island. It bears a close resemblance to a citadel and includes a bell tower that brings your finger to your camera’s button like a magnet.
- Local fisheries: Ammoudi is a picturesque, small port at the bottom of Oia village. It has various fish taverns right next to the sea, emphasizes local entrepreneurship.
- One for the daredevils: Another activity at Ammoudi are high rocks to jump from - if you’re brave enough that is, of course. If not, merely swimming in the crystal-clear waters will be just as memorable.
- Volcanic boat tour: In the middle of the caldera lies Nea Kameni. This is where the island’s active volcano is situated, making for an amazing hiking tour. To make it even more exciting are sulfur vents along the 20-minute walk.
- Some more walking: Skaros Rock is another landmark worth investigating. There is a small path leading to the rock. Who knows? You might even find a hidden treasure along the way…
- You say tomato… Discover the history of Santorini’s famous cherry tomatoes. This tiny museum is very well laid out and tons of fun for the whole family!
With so many options and diverse interests, here is a categorized list of top activities Santorini has to offer:
- Kamari beach: This is a family-friendly beach suited for people of all ages. The combination of the black sand and blue waters make Kamari Beach a captivating sight.
- Vlychada: Surrounded by volcanic rock formations, this beach is a majestic place to swim with its red pebbles and deep waters.
- Red beach: Red beach is on the south end of the island and the perfect spot to take a dip after visiting Akrotiri’s archeological site.
- Fira to Oia: A 10 km hike passing historical sights and incredible views.
- Nea Kameni Volcano and Hot Springs: Hike down Fira cliff to Old Port and take a boat tour toward the volcano. After the 20-minute hike, take a relaxing dip in the natural hot springs just on the other side of the volcano.
- Athenian House: Have dinner with a sunset view of the caldera.
- Santorini Wine Museum: Walk the 300-meter-long cave showcasing the history of Santorini over the last five centuries and bask in four wine tastings while you’re at it.
- The Koo Club: If you feel like a dazzling night out, the Koo Club offers dancing and numerous social opportunities.
- Tropical bar: Tropical is a great spot for singles or an opportunity to meet and befriend other travelers.
Book your trip to Santorini now to explore the island, enjoy everything a cruise has to offer, swim in the ocean, and eat a seafood platter with a glass of wine. Ah, that’s the life.
© 2019 Veroniki Balabounidi