Why studying abroad is the best thing you can do for yourself.
In 2012, I had the opportunity to do an International Exchange at the University of Adelaide, located in the heart of Adelaide, South Australia. Not only was this my first time in Australia, but this was the first time I would be traveling alone for a long period of time and actually living in a new country. I mean, I am no stranger to travel but this one was a little nerve wrecking.
For one thing, going to a different country can be quite the culture shock. Also, homesickness can be a problem for some who miss their families too much. Even adjusting to a new life can be tiring. But despite the hardships of moving to a country alone, studying abroad is one of the best things anyone can do for themselves.
Here are the reasons why studying abroad is the best thing you can do for yourself:
- You learn to take better for yourself. When I was in Australia, I had to adjust to life differently than I would in the states.
- You get to see some of the coolest once in a lifetime attractions. In Australia there are many things to see and do. I scuba dived the Great Barrier Reef, camped the Outback as well as hiked around Uluru Rock, and traveled to the many great cities in Australia.
- If you are studying a language, this would be a good to practice it.
- You'll learn to be a better cook. When I lived in Australia, eating out a lot costs too much money. So I spent most of my time cooking in the kitchen. I had so much fun as I had fun trying new recipes and learning new cooking methods.
- You can learn new skills and it will look good on a resume.
- And last but not least, you'll make the best of friends and meet amazing people.
There is so much more I can about the experience of living in a new country. Studying abroad was one of the best academic decision I ever made. Even till this day I think about Australia and wish to go back one day.