- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Australia & Oceania
"You Know You're Australian When..." Quotes
"You know you're Australian when" quotes and status updates, written by a true blue Aussie.
You Know You're Australian When:
- You have a spider as big as a dinner plate living in your lounge room and you're not really worried, because it's only a Huntsman.
- You go to the servo for your petrol.
- You go to the Bottle-O for your grog.
- Your don't go to a barbie without your beer stubby and your esky.
- You love your barbie (And it's not a doll).
- You went outside for less than 5 seconds and you are covered in mosquito bites.
- You're strongly encouraged to slip, slop slap.
- When "Kiss me Katut".
- When if it's not on, it's NOT ON!
- When you don't be a tosser.
- When ants have moved into your kitchen and they are laying eggs in your kitchen sponge and your toasted sandwich maker.
- When you find special beaches for dogs.
- When you are not allowed to keep a Kangaroo for a pet but you are allowed to eat them.
- When you dial before you dig.
- When you each chips - Not fries or crisps.
- When you have a thong tan (On your feet) all year through.
- You can run, dance, could even build a house wearing thongs.
- When you need to get a pen license before you can stop using your pencil at school.
- When you check for Red-Back's before sitting on the dunny.
- When you have Blue Tongues living in your yard, and you think they're friendly.
- When saying "Far out!" doesn't mean you're a hippie.
- When what you're saying is fair dinkum.
- When everyone calls you their mate.
- When half the time walking out in your yard is like walking into an oven, and the rest of the time it's like jumping in the river.
- When you say "Straya mate!" when referring to where you're from.
- When there aren't many full words in your sentences.
- When you understand that it's acceptable to call Tom - Tommo, but you wouldn't call Sarah - Saraho.
- When they build the great wall of China to keep the rabbits out.
- When you always have tan lines. Even in winter.
- When you drive though "Macca's".
- When you know "Crikey!" can mean something's either good or bad.
- When something's "Bloody" doesn't mean there is blood.
- When something's a "Ripper!" you know it doesn't mean it's actually ripped.
- When your builder is a "Brickie" and your truck driver is a "Truckie", but your Accountant is still your Accountant.
- When having a "Chin wag" doesn't mean wiggling your chin.
- When you know all the words to the "Wiggles" songs.
- When you write 'Colour' not color.
- When your mother is mum - not mom.
- When someone might look buff, but it doesn't mean you want to see them in the buff!
- When your water usage costs $20 a quarter but your water bill is $600 because of taxes.
- When your 3 year old has an ipod touch and an ipad and will have a iphone soon.
- When you have a mobile phone - not a cell phone.
- When you don't play football with a round ball.
- When you play Soccer you use a round ball, but you prefer your footy.
- When you'll visit a 'Big Banana' or a 'Big Prawn'.
- When you rarely see money because you operate with plastic.
- When your shopping is rounded into 0.01c but the lowest coin is 0.05 cents.
- When you wash your money the notes are still perfectly fine.
- When it's dark by 5pm in winter.
- When there's a heatwave and a flood in the same week.
- When you get mixed up with the time during the year due to "Daylight Savings".
- When it's fine to call someone "Mate!" when you don't know their name.
- When tomato sauce goes on any food toasted or fried.
- When you could fry an egg on the roof of your car one minute, and the next minute you are running for shelter from the hail.
- When you can pick the difference between a Great White and a Dolphin in the surf.
- When you once owned a Commodore.
- When you still don't know all the words to the national anthem.
- When "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi"
- When mash potato and pumpkin are perfectly acceptable on toast, for breakfast.
- When you put honey and sugar in your porridge.
- When you say "Oh struth!"
- When you've been wearing a school uniform since pre-school.
- When you know that Koala's aren't that easy to cuddle.
- When you call your female friends "Chickies".
- When you call your friend Tom "Tommo!" and Jim "Jimbo", but you'd never call Sarah "Saraho".
- When you know that Kangaroo's can do better Karate than any human.
- When you say "Hoo Roo!" when you're leaving.
- When it's against the law to have a 'shot' after midnight.
- When your cigarette packet has photo's of rotting flesh.
- When you're stung by a 'Blue Bottle' in the surf.
- When you have a designer hand bag but your jeans cost $6 at Kmart, and no one cares.
- When you have to stop at 16 sets of traffic lights to drive 5kms.
- When you have to keep a log book of your driving practice before you can sit for your Drivers License.
- When you wake up in the morning and there's a new Prime Minister and there has been no vote.
- When the same Prime Minister who was booted out, without a public vote, is the new Prime Minister again, still without a vote.
- When you get paid $8000 by the Government for having a baby.
- When your baby wears a nappy. And uses a dummy.
- When possums annoy you at night.
- When you really do have a home amongst the Gum trees.
- When your have a six figure debt because you decided to get a Degree.
- When you wear a green and gold wig and face paint to sporting events.
- When you go shopping wearing swim wear.
- When you could drive for 10 hours straight and still only be half way to your holiday destination.
- When it costs less to fly overseas than fly to the other side of the country.
- When pretty girls in bikini's top up your parking meter when you're out shopping in Surfers.
Tap An Image To Share The Page
You know you're Australian when you're cheering in a green and gold wig!
You know you're Australian when you know that Emu's like eating ice cream cones!
More From StricktlyDating:
- Common Aussie Slang Words
Everyday slang words used in Australia. Written by a True Blue Aussie! G'day, Hoo Roo, Crikey, Fair Dinkum, Dunny, Sheila, Bloke - A collection of the most common Australian slang words...
Do you know all the words to the Australian National Anthem?
© 2013 StricktlyDating