Travelling to Amritsar, Punjab?
Amritsar - The City Of Sikhs
Are you planning to visit Amritsar, Punjab, India for the first time in your life?
This Hub page is about the Holy City of Amritsar and what to do in Amritsar. Amritsar is a magical city (especially the old area with small streets). I will tell you about my favorite places and things to do. I will include the best links on the web, photos and blogs.
Please leave comments about your favorite places in Amritsar
1. Visit Golden Temple (Harmandar Sahib). This place is of significant importance for Sikhs. It is a holy place of Sikhs and it is one of the oldest Sikh gurdwaras.
Did you know that Golden Temple attracts more visitors than Taj Mahal? Harmandar Sahib is a heart of Sikhism. As soon as you enter the Golden Temple, feeling of peace and tranquility will be with you. There is something about this place I can't describe... you have to feel it. This place is open to all religions and races.
You need to try Langar
2. "The Langar or free kitchen was started by the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji. It is designed to uphold the principle of equality between all people of the world regardless of religion, caste, colour, creed, age, gender or social status. In addition to the ideals of equality, the tradition of Langar expresses the ethics of sharing, community, inclusiveness and oneness of all humankind." Definition taken from Sikhi Wiki.
My suggestion is to experience and observe the Langar. You can have langar in any gurudwara in any part of the world. Why? I'm fascinated by the idea of free meals for all classes of people. It's not that I'm interested in food...
Experience the old streets of Amritsar.
Old Amritsar...Please have a gprs with you
3. Experience the narrow streets of Old Amritsar but be careful... you might be lost. Even Amritsar people get lost there.
These part of the city is untouched for many centuries...experience the history of city... If you are architecture lover there are a lot of beautiful buildings.
As well it's a place for your shopping. Visit Guru bazar (Gold market), steel, chana, masala markets... Good time pass!
Sikh corner - on Amazon
Experience the traffic of the city...
4. Experience the traffic of the city... Experience the hustle and bustle of Amritsar.
Hire auto rickshaw or pedal rickshaw (I prefer second)...It's amazing the way the drive those things... You will have a chance to see the busy life of Amritsar...
The warriors of Punjab
5. Nihang Singhs... When I look at the them, it's liked I went throught star gate to the old times of Punjab. (Please see photo on the left side...)
"Nihang Singhs belong to a martial tradition begun by the tenth Guru of the Sikhs, Guru Gobind Singh. Their way of life, style of dress, and weaponry has remained little changed since the Guru's lifetime, three hundred years ago. Today, some Punjabis see them as a relic of a time long past, but others recognize Nihangs as a colourful and important part of Punjabi heritage." Definition from Sikhnet.
My friends started calling me Kaju Monster after I tried Kaju Barfi
6. Kaju Barfi is an Indian dessert. Kaju means Cashew nuts and Barfi is a type of Indian sweet. Barfi is often but not always, made by thickening milk with sugar and other ingredients. It is then spread in a flat, shallow dish and cut into bite-sized pieces. These pieces are sometimes decorated with edible silver foil.
Best Kaju you can buy in Bikaner Sweets Shop. Yummy!
Amritsar Pictures - with my cameraClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sikh Link List
- Mighty Sikhnet
Best website for Sikh community.Cybercommunity offers gurbani audio clips, live events, news, chat, job advertisements, online shopping, and photographs.
- Sikhi Wiki
Free Sikh Encyclopedia.
- Introduction into Sikhism
Introductory Sikhism facts, free online books about Sikhism, and feature-length Sikh videos.
- Amritsar Portal
Amritsar Portal for flights, hotels, travel, Amritsar directry and community discussion.
- Golden Temple Photos
Photographs of Golden Temple
- Desi Legend Gift Shop
Browse Desi Legend Gift Shop for Sikh/Punjabi gifts: t-shirts, hoodies and etc.