- Travel and Places»
- Travel Activities & Ideas
About Antarctica Vacations
Have you ever thought about going to Antarctica (the South Pole) for your holidays? That would be one trip you wouldn't forget anytime soon! I haven't been there myself but I would love to travel to Antarctica some day.
It seems like a really unusual location for a holiday, but Antarctic tourism is apparently pretty big nowadays with people from all around the world traveling there to see the unique landscape, the ice sheets and the glaciers as well as the wildlife such as killer whales, seals and penguins. You can also enjoy amazingly clear night skies - and who knows, maybe you will even be as lucky as to see the southern lights, or the aurora australis?
Killer Whale, or the Orca
Five Reasons to Travel to Antarctica
- Amazing landscape: who wouldn't want to see the Antarctic glaciers up close, and the land eternally covered by snow and ice? The Antarctic Peninsula, which is also the most popular tourist destination in the Antarctica (primarily cruise ship tours) also has some spectacular mountain peaks.
- It's really cold: what better place to escape the stifling-hot summer in a crowded city than the coldest place on Earth? The lowest temperature ever recorded on our planet was -89.2°C - that was on a Russian Vostok Station in Antarctica. Of course, it won't be as cold if you go on a tour, since most of them take place during summer (late December to March).
- Unique wildlife: Antarctica is home to many species of birds, seals, whales and of course penguins. Penguins live almost exclusively in the in the southern hemisphere and Antarctica, so this is the place to go to if you want to watch these amazing creatures in their natural habitat.
- Southern lights, or Aurora Australis: the southern counterpart of northern lights is no less spectacular. Produced by interaction between the Earth's magnetic field and solar wind, the auroras are amazing natural light displays in the sky.
- Ultimate brag rights: the next time your neighbor tells you about this awesome trip to Hawaii that he had during his summer holiday, you can feel comfortable knowing that you will walk away as the winner of this little bragging competition.
Amazing southern lights display observed in the Antarctic.
The Beautiful Landscape of Antarctica
Useful Links for an Antarctic Tourist
- World Expeditions
World Expeditions site offers various expedition cruises, such as a voyage across the Antarctic Circle, South Shetland Islands, Antarctic Peninsuna, general highlights, or whale watching.
- Australian Antarctic Division
The official website of this Australian government organization has a lot of useful information for those who want to travel to Antarctica such as visitor guidelines, frequently asked questions, safety concerns and more.
- Antarctic Connection
This website has information on the wildlife, history, research and science stations, expeditions, and weather of the continent. It will also come in handy if you want to book a cruise trip or something more exciting like a kayaking expedition.
- Antarctica on Wikipedia
As usual, Wikipedia has a long and detailed article on Antarctica. Should come in handy to anyone who wants to learn more about this continent - from history to political situation, population, climate and research performed there.