- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
Asheville, NC - Finding Temporary Work in Asheville
It’s been said that Asheville is a BYOB – Bring Your Own Business kind of city. It’s true that if you’ve not got a background in Education or Healthcare (Local schools, UNCA, AB Tech and Mission Healthcare are our biggest employers), then most of the jobs on offer are in the service, tourism and leisure sectors.
Because of the popularity of Asheville, there’s often a lot of competition for these positions, and entry level jobs in most of them, including as a waiter or server often require previous experience.
That said, there are a number of seasonal and other jobs available around the area, and we'll explore some of the places that you can seek out employment below.
Local employment and temporary staffing agencies in Asheville
- Asheville Staffing – Asheville Staffing specializes in short and mid length placements for temporary staff, and their office is located in the heart of Downtown Asheville
- Friday Staffing – This temporary agency has a very good reputation with local job seekers
- Sunshine Employment – Sunshine Employment on Merrimon Avenue provides industrial and construction job
- Snelling Staffing Services – Although they’re a national agency, Snelling Staffing Services in Asheville is a good place for job seekers to start their search
Useful websites and resources to find jobs in Asheville
- Craigslist jobs in Asheville – Regularly updated, the Craigslist job board for Asheville has a wide variety of jobs on offer, including construction, tutoring, serving staff, drivers and more
- Nareau on Reddit put together a great spreadsheet for the top twenty employers in Asheville, together with links to their job listings, you can find it here
- The Grove Park Inn and Biltmore are always hiring, although the jobs can be seasonal
- Indeed.com has a good reputation with local job searchers, and there are dozens of jobs listed on their site
- It’s also worth checking out the Asheville Reddit for jobs, there’s always lots of great advice there
Agricultural & farm work in and around Asheville
You might also want to consider working on a farm or in some other agricultural role. Although these jobs are very seasonal, there’s often a good variety to choose from, but where should you start looking?
- Crop Production Services, Hendersonville – There are often jobs available at this seed and feed plant and it’s also a place that local farmers place ads and requests for work.
- Asheville Craigslist – Craigslist occasionally offers farm and agricultural labor jobs
- Appalachian Seeds sometimes has positions available
- Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) is well worth a look; although the farms won’t pay you, they will often provide accommodation and food and cover your expenses
Thanks to this Asheville Reddit thread for providing some of the information for this section.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your job search. Although Asheville is an amazing place, it can be tough to find work, but persevere, present yourself well, and you’ll have the best chances.