- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
10 Interesting Facts about Georgia
If a trip to Georgia is on your list of upcoming events and activities, then chances are you have many things planned for when you arrive. But what do you know about this beautiful state? After all, as one of the older states in America, much has happened on its fair land. There have been famed battles and impassioned speeches; it is the site of astounding natural wonders like Stone Mountain, the home of numerous schools of higher education and contrasting scenery like its beaches to its east and the mountains to its west. But one thing is certain Georgia has many venues to explore. So, before you set off on your Georgia adventure, here are some interesting facts about the Peach State.
1. When you visit Brasstown Bald, Georgia’s highest point, you can see four states-Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Alabama.
2. Although Hernando de Soto and his crew explored the southeastern part of the state in 1540, it was not until 1773 that General George Oglethorpe founded the colony of Georgia and it was 1778 that Georgia became the 4th state.
3. One of the best ways to save money when visiting Atlanta is by purchasing a City Pass. It includes admittance to the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN Studio tour, Zoo Atlanta, the World of Coca Cola and many other great Atlanta area attractions.
4. The Georgia Aquarium is the world’s largest aquarium. It has 5 major galleries that contain more than 8 million gallons of water.
5. In 1943, Georgia became the first state to allow 18 year olds to vote.
6. Actress Kim Basinger was born in Athens and famed newspaper journalist Lewis Grizzard was from Mooreland Georgia.
7. Odd one for the law books-In Quitman, Georgia it is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.
8. The Georgia Dome is said to be the largest cable supported domed stadium in the world.
9. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi River.
10. In 1961, Georgia became the first state in the Deep South to integrate without a major curtailment of its public school system.
There are many other interesting facts about Georgia. Why not take some time to learn more about the state before you come to visit. After all, the more you now about where you are going the more you will enjoy it when you get there!
- Haunted Savannah Georgia
Savannah Georgia claims to be America's most haunted city. And if you check out the city thoroughly you'll find all kinds of spooky ghost stories. Savannah has had all kinds of tragedy and death over the...
- A Visit to the Georgia Agrirama
Georgia Agrirama grist mill Cotton gin Doctor's office Saw mill Georgia Agrirama train Tift House Watch spring plowing and planting. Gibbs House, 1896. Dining in the Miller House. On the front porch of a...
- Georgias Presidential Pathways Region
The state of Georgia is known for many people. There are winding mountain trails in it mountain regions, the excitement of cities like Athens and Atlanta, the sounds of the waves crashing along the barrier...