- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
Head "Up North" to Hayward, Wisconsin
An "Up North" State of Mind
If you love the outdoors while still being close to tons of amenities, you'll love a vacation in Hayward, Wisconsin. The northwoods of Wisconsin has long been known for a way of life where whole families spent a week or sometimes two on vacation at resorts. The resorts were made up of cabins and frequently a restaurant where a great Friday fish fry could be had, where the mere view of the lake soothed the work-tired soul, and where the whole day could be spent out on the water together.
While some things have changed, that "up north" spirit remains the same in the resorts, family-friendly atmosphere, and variety of outdoors activities for all ages and abilities. I hope you'll visit!
Hayward, Wisconsin on the Map
Have you ever been to Hayward, Wisconsin before?
Hayward Is Best Known For...
1. World's Largest Muskie - The Muskellunge is called the "fish of 1000 casts." Anglers can spend lots of time and even more money on equipment to try to catch a muskie. When they finally do, it's the thrill of a lifetime with a fight that leaves their heart racing and their arms tired. Imagine pulling the record muskie - all sharp teeth and muscle - from the water - 69 pounds, 11 ounces - caught by Louis Sprain back in 1949.
2. American Birkebeiner - A ski marathon! It's worth attending just to see more than 8000 participants prepared to take part in events for all age and skill levels with the highlight being the ski marathon - a 50K/54K cross-country ski trek.This event commemorates the Norwegian rescue of a child prince by two soldiers on skis during a civil war in Norway back in 1206.
3. Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame - Stand in the mouth of a 4 and 1/2 story (that's right "story") musky. Catch panfish in the 88,000 gallon fishing pond beneath it. Get your picture taken with a giant fiberglass fish replica, the world's record musky or a sasquatch. There's tons of family fun in this angler's paradise!
4 - Lumberjack World Championships
You may have seen it on television, but it can't compare to seeing it in person! I was able to attend the 2011 Lumberjack World Championships and it was amazing. Lumberjacks and lumberjills from around the world came to small town Hayward, Wisconsin to compete in this world-class event. Log rolling, pole climbing, boom running, single and double buck, standing block chop, hot saw, springboard chop, and other events will keep you amazed and excited throughout the competition. Watch women, men, and seniors compete for the titles at this annual event.
Before the competition starts, kids and adults alike will love all of the fun activities on the grounds. Log rolling for kids, chainsaw art, life size cutouts that turn everyone into a lumberjack or jill, tones of booths or displays, and a bunch of food vendors. Fun for everyone!!
2011 Lumberjack World ChampionshipsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sara Rath captures what it means to be up north in this engaging, easy read about a resort in the northwoods of Wisconsin.
Calling All Flea Market Fans
Imagine 2 ice arenas, filled (and I mean filled) with flea market vendors. Crafts, antiques, vintage, new, and more can be found - in short, there's something for everyone. There's definitely a northwoods feel to some of the booths - my husband picked up a brush ax, crosscut saw, and a castiron pan, all for great prices. He pronounced that it was the "most manly flea market he had ever been to." That being said, I also found lots of jewelry, an eclectic selection of glassware, signs, furniture, and much, much more.
All this happens every Monday throughout the summer months, ending with one last hurrah on the Sunday of Labor Day. So bring your open mind, your best bargaining skills, and a big vehicle for all your purchases, and don't forget to stay for lunch at the concession stand. It's a fundraiser too!
Eats & Drinks
Angry Minnow Brew Pub
At the Angry Minnow Brew Pub, select from a variety of well-brewed beers crafted on-site and in summer, see the hops they grow out back. The Brew Pub also carries a gourmet menu that keeps your favorites on hand while introducing seasonal delectables to entice your tastebuds.
While you're there, don't miss the Hot & Angry Pretzels (pictured below) with three kinds of dipping sauce. The pretzels are made with spent brewers grains and served hot and fresh to your table in minutes, and the dips are served in compostable plastic cups. Sit inside the old-fashioned brick building adorned with original stained glass or sit out back on the patio that's shaded by a gorgeous Weeping Willow tree. Either way, you'll be glad you stopped.
Hot & Angry Pretzels and a Hand-Crafted Beer - Does it get any better than this?
Foodies and others will love this video history of the old-fashioned Wisconsin supper clubs. You'll definitely want a Friday night fish fry after watching this one!
Coop's Pizza Parloure
Fun for the whole family! Coop's Pizza Parloure has it all - excellent pizza and pasta, wi-fi, a giant aquarium filled with fish species native to the area, and a wide variety of wildlife décor to keep you looking around all through dinner. I highly recommend their signature wheat pizza crust.
The pizza pictured below is my personal favorite - a build your own pizza on a wheat crust with a white sauce, topped with garlic cloves, fresh mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, olives, and onions. Outstanding!
My Favorite Coop's Pizza
So Many Amazing Places to Eat
Your mouth will be watering before you can say Hayward, Wisconsin. Just check out these excellent restaurants.
- R&R Bayview Resort & Restaurant
The R&R Bayview Resort & Restaurant has great food all the way around. You'll be happy with anything you order, but you'll be especially happy with their twice-baked augies (au gratin potatoes like none you've ever had before) with their Frid
- West's Dairy
Choose from tons of different flavors of delicious hand-dipped ice cream in a cup or a cone. A great stop in downtown Hayward.
- Angler's Bar & Grill
Enjoy your meal inside or out on the sunny front patio. And when you're done eating, go bowling at the bowling alley right on site.
- Famous Dave's Hayward
Sure you can find Famous Dave's a lot of places, but this is the Original Famous Dave's. Worth the trip!
Get Into the Outdoors
Get Outdoors in Hayward - Books & Maps to Help You
So Much to Do... So Little Time
- Fishing - Whether your looking to catch the "fish of 1000 casts" - the muskie - or you want to fill your live well with panfish or walleyes, the Hayward area lakes have something for you. Summer or winter, fish the lakes where record breakers can be caught.
- Hiking - Right on the edge of the Chequamegon National Forest, hikers have access to tons of trails of varying lengths and degrees of difficulty. Try a new trail every day!
- Biking - Home of the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival, bikers will find loads of trails and riding information throughout the area.
- Kayaking/Canoeing - Did you think there could be this many lakes without kayaking and canoeing? So many opportunities exist for a quiet paddle on a big lake with plenty of areas to explore.
- Hunting - Whitetail Deer, Bear, Coyotes and much, much more. There's plenty of public hunting land to be had up in the northwoods.
Enjoy Some Northwoods NatureClick thumbnail to view full-size
Places to Visit
Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame
A 4-1/2 story Muskie with a fishing pond underneath and a school of other giant fiberglass fish are just the beginning when you go to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Whole rooms are dedicated to mounted fish, professional anglers, boat motors, boats, fishing poles, lures, and much, much, much more.
There's something for everyone and the whole family will love the Giant Muskie. Fish for Bluegills and other panfish down below, then make the trip up the steps into the mouth of the Muskie where you can get a great view of Hayward and the rest of the Hall of Fame park.
Just a Taste of What You Can See at the Hall of FameClick thumbnail to view full-size
More Places to Go and Things to Do - Hayward Highlights
- Fred Scheer's Lumberjack Shows
Can't get here for the Lumberjack World Championships? Lumberjack Shows are held throughout the summer. Check the schedule for show times and days.
- Towering Pines Mini Golf
There are several places to play miniature golf, but this one is my favorite. The towering pines offer shade on a sunny day on at least part of almost every hole.
- Lac Courte Oreilles Casino, Lodge, and Conference Center
More than just gambling, there's always something exciting coming up at the LCO Casino. Dirt bike and motorcross track on site, there's always something to see or do.
Link Party Connections
Here are parties and blog hops this page is linked to. Click on any of them to find hundreds more ideas, recipes, crafts, and much more!
© 2012 Monica Lobenstein