ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

One Man's RV Story Continued...

Updated on September 5, 2011

Concerned the neighbors may not like my new motor home parked in the yard, I cleared some tree limbs and parked it next to the house where it fit like a glove into the space I had made for it. Even at 32', it just slightly stuck out into the front yard. Utilizing a 110 converter cord, I plugged into the house current and started learning about my new home.

Many of my neighbors and friends had never been inside a motor home. They were welcomed in mine. One Sunday after church, my friend a Lutheran minister and his wife along with friends from his church and some other neighbors all came by at the same time to see the new addition to the neighborhood. With the driver and passenger seats turned to face the salon, the sofa and the dinette seating along with a stool in the kitchenette, there was plenty of room for all to take a seat and enjoy the cool comfort of the airconditioned salon.

The two slides on this motor home were in the salon area creating much more room when extended. The refrigerator, stove and counter that made up the small kitchen area was mid-coach. A walk-in shower, the toilet and a clothes wardrobe was behind a sliding panel door just beyond the kitchenette and the queen size bed and a few more closets were at the rear.

Though my departure date was slated for four months from then, I wanted to become completely comfortable with all facets of the Hurricane. And I wanted to start packing it for the journey that lay ahead. Additonally, I would make small forays to get used to filling the gasolene and propane tanks and practice backing and parking it on desolate side streets.

During those four months I discovered minor issues that would need to either be fixed or changed sometime down the road. One of the worst problems was the amount of carpeting the manufacturer utilized in the interior design. Where I lived had lots of black sand which my dog tracked into the motor home. This sand tends to stain anything it touches and I was constantly cleaning the carpet. I purchased an area rug at Walmart to protect the carpet until I was parked in more favorable situations. The rug protected the carpet but then I had to clean the rug...eventually, I planned to remove the carpet and replace it with vinyl or some other easier to maintain flooring.

It was also during this time that I realized towing the Harley though an option was not practical for living full time in the Hurricane. Additionally, the motor home could only tow up to 5,000 pounds meaning I would also have to replace the Dodge 1500. Though I really wanted to keep the Harley there would be times I would need to take my dog to the vets, drive to the store in rain and inclement weather or need to take passengers along for the ride...

I decided on a Jeep Wrangler for my TOAD. A TOAD is a towed vehicle. The Wrangler was perfect. It has four wheel drive for those places I may get into down the road where it may very well be a necessity. It is a convertible for the fun of it. And it weighed in at below 5,000 pounds. I traded the truck and the Harley for a new Jeep and was rewarded with a nice check back from the dealership! Owning the Jeep outright would help with monthly expenses especially since I had financed a large part of the Hurricane.

Because August was one of the most miserable months in the Charleston area, I decided that would be a great time to take my first trial run in the Hurricane. I planned my trip to stop near Lake Norman near Charlotte, NC for a week at a very nice (and too expensive) RV resort to test the to speak. After Lake Norman I would venture into the mountains to visit friends and say my goodbyes before heading off into America...

Tune in next time for that adventure....


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.