Piedmont Medical Center Trail - Rock Hill, SC
Piedmont Medical Center Trail
Information About The Trail
This little gem of a Greenway is practically in my backyard and I didn’t even know it. It is part of the City of Rock Hill’s Greenways System and also the Carolina Thread Trail network and was formerly named Riverwalk. What a spectacular place to take a nice 6.6 mile walk. This greenway is paved asphalt all the way and it runs along the Catawba River in South Carolina. Near the end of this trail is an elevated railroad track that appears to have been built several decades ago. The trail ends one-half mile from this point and you just turn around and walk back.
This is a paved 3.32 mile asphalt smooth trail that runs right along the Catawba River and there are many spectacular views of the river along the trail. There is a small boat launch near the start of the trailhead and also a few picnic tables near this area. It is a great place to walk your dog and there are bag stations along the trail to encourage people to pick up after their pets.
As you can see in the photo above there are several spots along the trail that have hand-carved sitting benches made out of tree stumps.
Take a Stroll Along the Spectacular Catawba River at Piedmont Medical Center Trail in Rock Hill, SCClick thumbnail to view full-size
Uses of the Trail
This trail is shared by walkers/joggers, and bicycling. Pets are allowed on leashes. Bicycle speed limit is 10 mph. The trail is handicapped accessible and is monitored by park staff.
There are two hills along this trail where you will walk uphill and certainly burn some calories. Other than that it is very smooth and idea for rollerblading, baby carriages, and wheelchairs.
This trail is located in a floodplain and is subject to heavy flooding. Use caution during and after a heavy rain.
The trail is owned by the City of Rock Hill and is maintained and operated by the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department.
More photos along the Catawba River, near the end of the trail is an old elevated railroad which is still in use today!Click thumbnail to view full-size
Other Local Greenways and Nature Preserves
- Reedy Creek Nature Center
Reedy Creek Nature Center offers over 10 miles of hiking trails and has a variety of terrains and scenic views of small lakes, forests, fields, streams, wildlife, and the Robinson Rockhouse ruins.
- McDowell Nature Preserve Charlotte NC
McDowell Nature Preserve is the perfect place to “get away from it all” even though you are still in the city. This preserve offers camping, hiking, fishing, boating, and a nature center to enjoy all year long in a peaceful and natural setting.
- Greenways in Charlotte, NC
McAlpine Creek, McMullen Creek and Four Mile Creek Greenways are one of the many beautiful wetland nature trails that Charlotteans have access to. Even though it has 3 different names, it is the same greenway.
- Trail hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. April 1 – September 30; and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. October 1 – March 31. Entry onto the trail after closing is unlawful and a violation of City Code Section 21-1.
- Motorized vehicles are allowed in authorized areas only.
- No alcoholic beverages, weapons or firearms of any kind, or illegal drugs.
- Skateboards are not allowed on this trail.
- Pet owners are responsible for their pets. All pets must be controlled on a 3 foot leash and are required to pick up after their pets and dispose the waste in proper receptacles.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- The City and the Greens of Rock Hill and affiliated companies are not responsible for accidents or injuries that occur while using the trail or its facilities.
- Stay on the trail at all times unless areas are explicitly designated for other uses.
- Do not climb on bridge railings.
Bicycle Rules for Trail Use
- Ride with caution at all times.
- Control your speed. Speed limit is 10 mph.
- Yield to pedestrians and other cyclists.
- Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended.
More spectacular sights along the Catawba river.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Other Helpful Links
© 2013 Efficient Admin