Things to do When Porting in Nassau Bahamas
Port Nassau Bahamas. I have been to Nassau on three different cruises and have listed things to do to make the most of Nassau's in-port experience. If you are planning a trip to Nassau, I hope you enjoy your time there. If you have already visited Nassau, please comment on what your experience was like in Port Nassau Bahamas.
Senor Frogs is a restaurant and drinking establishment within walking distance from where the cruise ships port. No matter what your age, Senor Frogs is sure to be a fun experience for everyone in your group. There will be lots of singing and dancing, as they encourage their customers to become involved in the entertainment. Staff in clown and giant frog costumes will dance with all visitors and will be seen making balloon hats for everyone. The food is good. Tell the staff when you arrive if anyone in your group is celebrating a special event such as an anniversary or birthday, they will be sure to get them dancing and singing before you are ready to leave.
Atlantis and resort and Casino, Paradise Island
Atlantis Resort is a magical experience that is a must-see for anyone who has not been there, but especially for families. It is designed to resemble the 'Lost City of Atlantis'. Different shore excursions to Atlantis are usually available through your cruise-line, or if you prefer to tour the resort on your own or gamble, you can take a $5/person taxi ride to the resort from right outside the gates of the port where many Taxi Cabs will be lined up to take you anywhere you would like to go in Nassau. Once you arrive at Atlantis, you can take a wonderful tour of the hotel and casino, shop in the resort shops, or take a tour of the underground aquarium which is a must-see. Shore excursions are available through your cruise lines for tours, dolphin adventures, and water park adventures. There is also a very nice shopping area very close to Atlantis resort where a short walk past ported yachts donned with helicopters will be docked. Contact your cruise-line for further details.
- Nassau, Bahamas & Paradise Island, Bahamas Official Tourism Guide
Nassau, Bahamas and Paradise Island, Bahamas Vacation Guide. Explore Nassau and Paradise Island, request and island vacation guide and learn more about what awaits you in Nassau Paradise Island, Bahamas.
The shopping experiences in Nassau are extremely diverse. No matter how high your shopping budget is, there is definitely a place for you in Nassau. Some cruise ships offer a shopping show prior to porting in most ports to guide you through your shopping experience and give you discounts that are only offered to the cruise-lines. Remember also, if you are interested in making a larger purchase in port, Nassau is duty-free.
- Nassau's Famous Straw Market: this shopping experience is not the one for me, as the market is filled with shouts from vendors of "buy, buy, buy". I am not particularly fond of pushy vendors, therefore I stay away from the straw market when I visit Nassau. However, if you have great bargaining skills and are on a very limited budget, this is the place for you! The straw market is filled with hand-made crafts, souveniers and fake name brand handbags like Gucci, Dooney & Bourke, and Dolce & Gabbana. The straw market is also very conveniently located within walking distance to the Cruise port.
- Prince George Plaza and downtown shops: This area is more for the tourist who is interested in the more typical souvenir type shopping. These shops are more for those travelers on a vacation budget. Famous US tourist shops like Hard Rock Cafe and the Harley Davidson clothing store can be found here. There are also several liquor stores that sell rum at very reasonable prices for those that are interested in taking several bottles home.
- Nassau Port shops: There are several market type shops that greet you when you first arrive in Nassau Port. These shops are definitely worth taking a look at, although the bargaining down of these shop owners is not as likely as those at the Straw Market. There are several street entertainers present to greet you to the Bahamas.
- Marina village: Located on Paradise Island, this shopping village is a little higher priced with average store prices similar to U.S. Mall prices. Very cute little village with colorful shops align the streets.
- Court Shops at Atlantis Resort: The court shops at The Atlantis Resort are high priced stores with names like 'Armani'. For those with a higher budget than most, a bargain can still be claimed if you are interested in buying high priced items with no tax attached.
Historical and sight seeing tours
Many historical and sight-seeing tours can be taken in Nassau. Glass bottom boat tours are informative and usually point out shore-side homes of famous people along with a trip to paradise Island. Walking tours of Nassau include tours of government buildings and churches. A visit to Ardestra Gardens or Fort Charlotte are nice tours for those that are interested in the more historical areas of Nassau.
There are also many other activities you can try in nassau. The following is just a short list:
- Hair Brading: Everywhere you walk in Nassau there will be women approaching the females of your group and asking if you would like your hair braided for a small fee. After a visit to Port Nassau, it is common to notice women on your cruise ship with fancy hair braids
- Horse Drawn Carriage: immediately upon exiting the port shops, there will be horse drawn carriages lined up to take you on a romantic ride through Nassau. A great idea if you are on a honeymoon or anniversary cruise.
- Parasailing: almost all cruise ports offer parasailing adventures. I have never tried this, but it is definitely something I will have to try in the future.
- Water adventures: including snorkeling and scuba diving. Check with your cruise line about shore excursions offering snorkeling.
There are several beaches in Nassau. Some are for public use and others are private use only. There may be a small fee that you will have to pay to use the beaches.