- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America
Raven Cliff Falls
South Carolina's Tallest Waterfall
You can hike to South Carolina's tallest waterfall! It's an easy hike for a beautiful view. The falls are a terrific day trip if you live anywhere in South Carolina. It's also easily accessible from Georgia, Tennessee or North Carolina since it sits near the junction of these states. There are multiple trails that can lead you to the falls.
I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and took my teens up to the falls for a day trip. Here's what you need to know about traveling to the falls and hiking up to them.
Raven Cliff Falls Facts
Raven Cliff Falls is the tallest waterfall in South Carolina. Here are some facts about the falls:
- Raven Cliff Falls is 420-foot. Some topographic maps list it between 320-350 feet, which still makes it the tallest fall in SC.
- The waterfall is located in Greenville County, SC.
- The falls are in Caesars Head State Park, which on the South Carolina and Georgia border.
- Matthews Creek feeds the falls.
- The most popular trail is the two-mile Raven Cliff Falls trail.
- There is a suspension bridge over the waterfall. However, you take a different trail to get to the bridge than you would to view the overlook of the waterfall.
- Table Rock is another prominent feature of the park. You can view it from the Visitor Center.
Things To Bring
The hike to the falls can take anywhere from a couple of hours to a full day. The difficulty of the trail depends which route you take, but it's best to prepare for the worst. Make sure you have water and can contact the outside world in the event of an emergency. However, don't expect to have cell phone service once you get out on the trail a ways. In the summer, the heat can be brutal. Except in the winter, expect mosquitoes!
You'll see people on the trail in shorts or in jeans, with tennis shoes or hiking boots. It's a good idea to carry a backpack with water. If you are taking one of the more strenuous trails, you should bring rope.
- Insect Repellent
- Cell Phone
- Pets - Allowed in the park, providing they are restrained on a 6-ft leash.
Getting To the Falls
The falls are located in Caesars Head State Park outside of Cleveland, SC. The easiest way to find the park is to follow any map to Cleveland and then follow the signs in Cleveland (which is not too big) to the park. You can get gas and food in Cleveland, but if you're looking to stay the night, your best bet is to camp in the park or to find a hotel in nearby Greenville, SC.
Animals You Might See
There is a lot of wildlife in the area. You'll almost certainly see squirrels. Even if you don't see them, you can smell foxes.
- gray squirrel
- white tail deer
- red fox
- gray fox
- black bear
Do you have questions about the hike or have you been to Raven Falls? Feel free to post a comment!