- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America
Small Town Kansas: Reading
Reading - a small Kansas town
In 2011, Reading suffered huge damage from a tornado. I recently talked to my second-cousin who lives in Reading. Sad to hear of all the houses destroyed by this tornado. I've included some photos, video and news coverage about this disaster.I don't remember Reading, Kansas but family photos show me there, a toddler among bigger cousins. My dad's parents, Ren and Cora Martin lived there for awhile after they sold their farm.
Since I've been working on my father's book, I started to wonder about this small Kansas town. Here's what I found out about it.
(the photo shows a Martin family reunion at the house in Reading)
Finding Reading on the Map - (HINT: it's near Emporia)
News Footage of the Reading KS Tornado - of May 21, 2011
Storm Chaser Video of Reading Tornado - May 21, 2011
Earlier Benefits and Fundraisers Held for Reading
I get shivers just hearing how different towns, agencies and individuals have stepped up to help Reading after the tornado.
Is there something you or an organization that you are in can do to help?
- The money collected from the art auction goes to the communities of Reading and Joplin ($316.75 a piece from The Topeka Artists Group here in Topeka Kansas). The money for Reading will be donated to the organization that is helping get supplies for the school so the kids can have a great start to the new school year. The money for Joplin will be going to the Spiva Center for the Arts to help artists replace supplies they lost.
- Note from Barbara Schlobohm
"Thank you again, Ottawa and Franklin County. You not only gave us $3000 for the park and the Chamber of Commerce added $2000, but you came and built a handicap accessible ramp into the temporary city hall so that the city clerk could come back to Reading to work FREE OF CHARGE. WOW! Ottawa, you are g-o-o-d people!"
- Note from Barbara Schlobohm on July 8 at 10:59am
Kansas City West Kiwanis....THANK YOU! They raised $2,048.16 for the school supplies for Reading students. We normally spend around $1800 so this is perfect!
- Post from Barbara Schlobohm on July 8
Free soil has been provided by Wildlife and Parks for the past couple weeks. They even load it. There is no need for ANYONE to pay for soil...it's free. Whomever hauls it might charge. There is a list of haulers on the information board in front of the school.
- Post from Barbara Schlobohm on July 7
Jean-Paul Cheraud of the Kansas City Foundation has just called to say they will be sending $10,000 to the United Way of the Flint Hills to help with the rebuilding process of people's homes. My cousin, Brenda Chumley, works with him and put us in their eyesight. Thank you Jean-Paul and Brenda!
- July 5th Note on Facebook from Barbara Schlobohm
The Freddy's franchise in Emporia is donating 20% of sales to the recovery of Reading.
Photos of Reading, Kansas (from the Martin family album) - (from the Martin family album)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Clyde's father ran a grocery store in Reading
Links to Sites that mention Reading, KS
- Preview the book, Clyde Owen Martin
Clyde's father moved to Reading and ran a grocery store there, before retiring to Emporia.
- Welsh Settlements in Kansas
It describes the founding of Reading as "This is a new Welsh settlement on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe RR. between Arvonia and Emporia in Lyon Co."
- Topix news of Reading, KS
Recent news of the area and residents.
Hunting Tornados in Lyon County, Kansas
Reading Kansas Will Rise Again
Reading Kansas Will Rise Again by vallain