- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Asia»
- Southeastern Asia
The Secrets of Tagaytay!
The Definitive Travel Guide to an Awesome Tagaytay Experience!
Every Filipino loves Tagaytay! It is the best place for cool weather, awesome food, and fantastic nature view. There is more to Tagaytay than the usual places that you go to. I've been going to Tagaytay almost 10x a year and I plan to share with you the best places, secret escapes, and awesome tips. Best of All, you can contribute to this lens guide to make this the definitive guide to the awesome secrets in Tagaytay!
Secret #1: Best Pasalubong that is Uniquely Tagaytay!
Every time you go up to Tagaytay that it is a must to bring something home to your love ones. These are the best Pasalubong that Tagaytay offers:
1. Fresh Pineapple. Make sure to buy from the farmers themselves where you would normally see them displaying the pineapple along the streets. I don't usually buy from the market stalls since they are a bit expensive.
2. Buco Tart. This is a signature Tagaytay Pasalubong. Make sure to buy your miniature Buco Tarts from Rowena or Amira's which are also available in Angel Hill's retreat house beside Pink Sisters.
3. Pink Sister's Angel Cookies. This is an all time favorite. We usually buy these as a pasalubong at the same time a contribution to the Pink Sisters. We usually make it a point to visit Pink Sister's every time we go up in Tagaytay. The Blessed Sacrament is always exposed in the Church.
4. Good Shepherd Convent Ube Jam. My wife loves these Ube Jam but I'm glad she outgrew it already. The Tagaytay Ube Jam is no match for the Baguio ones but this is a good pasalubong for your love ones.
5. Steamed Peanuts. I love buying these steamed peanuts that are only abundant from the Mendez Intersection. I usually buy some to eat in the car and some to take home as pasalubong.
Secret #2: One of the World's Most Expensive Coffee is Available in Tagaytay!
If you are a coffee connoiseur, it is a must that you try Coffee Alamid which is available in Bag of Beans in Tagaytay! This coffee became globally famous when it was featured in Oprah. While you are in Bag of Beans, you can order their Blueberry Cheescak
Coffee Alamid is Philippine civet coffee that comes only from the sweetest coffee cherries of the Philippine forests. The palm civets that naturally propagate the sugar palm trees are also the same civets that choose and eat these ripe cherries. The beans are then fermented in the digestive system of the civets, then excreted as whole beans. The coffee farmers pick these civet droppings during coffee season.
Coffee Alamid is a natural blend of the Philippine finest Liberica, Exelsa, Robusta and Arabica beans. The nocturnal civets freely roam the forests in the wild. The beans are all collected in the wild.
Coffee Alamid when roasted, has sweet, chocolatey aroma that heightens the senses. It is light and naturally sweet. Its fine and smooth taste is perfect for a good morning start. It is a winning formula during high power meetings. Enjoy it black and pure to savor its true taste and aroma.
(From Arengga.com )
Secret #3: The Best of Our Awesome Planet - Tagaytay Index - If you want to explore Tagaytay, you should start here. I might have a blog post on it and I cover
Check out Our Awesome Planet ( http://anton.blogs.com )
- Nothing beats an Antonio's Dinner @ Tagaytay!
- a Manos Greek Tavern Dinner
- Bag of Beans: Beyond English Pies
- Discover Verbena @ Discovery Suites, Tagaytay
- Paul Huang's Fire Lake Grill @ Cliff House, Tagaytay
- Highland's Steakhouse finally in Mall of Asia!
- Breakfast @ Antonio's "Halfway House"
- Opium Bed @ Buon Giorno, Cliff House,
- Sanctuario Revisited: Ho-hum food?
- Inspiring story but a disappointing lunch @ Carlos Restaurant
- Cliff House, Tagaytay -- US Ambiance in a Tagaytay Setting :)
- Taal Vista Hotel Reinvented -- Amazing!
- Guide to Trekking Up to the Taal Volcano - world's smallest volcano!
- Relaxing Tagaytay Escape @ Nurture Spa
- Sanctuario Spa, Tagaytay
- Getting Married -- The Caleruega Way
- Coffee Alamid @ Bag of Beans, Tagaytay
Secret #4: La Esquina @ Splendido - The Newest Fine Dining and Mediterranean Place in Tagaytay
Are you tired of always just eating in Antonio's or Cafe Verbenna or in Tagaytay Highlands?
The Buzz is getting louder on this new mediterranean place in Spendido Golf Course in Tagaytay. The Famous Spanish Cuisine of Chef Ed's Quimson in Makati is now transferred to La Esquina and together with Heny Sison's Desserts, this place will be awesome!
Secret #5: The Best Spas in Tagaytay
Maybe you are looking for a relaxing Spa escape in Tagaytay. Here are the top 5 choices for you.
1. Nurture Spa. By far the #1 Spa in Tagaytay because it is accessible by everyone. The nature and ifugao huts ambiance are very relaxing. It is affordable and the Massage is at Par with most Spa in Manila.
2. Sanctuario Spa @ Canyon Woods. This is the second branch of the famous Filipino inspired Sanctuario Spa in Malate. The Massage is a lot lot better than nurture spa but this is located inside Canyon Woods Main Clubhouse. It is exclusively for members and their guest but sometimes you can talk directly to Sanctuario to let you in for the spa :)
3. Tagaytay Highlands Spa and Lodge. This one you definitely need to be accompanied or endorsed by a member to enter Tagaytay Highlands. The Spa is located in a country style and log cabin ambiance. I usually only able to try this when we have a company teambuilding in highlands. The Massage is very good too.
4. Discovery Country Suites Luxury Spa. You need to stay in Discovery Suites in order to get their spa services. The accommodation cost is quite expensive and I'm sure even the spa services.
5. Ylang Ylang Spa @ Taal Vista Lodge. This is the Fuego hotels version of Spa located in the newly renovated Taal Vista Lodge. I haven't tried it but it looks like a hotel spa which you can get in Manila anyway.
Secret #7: Best Filipino Restaurant in Tagaytay
If you have visitors, you might want to bring them to the very best of Filipino cuisine. Here are the top 5 Best Filipino Restaurants in Tagaytay!
1. Josephine's Restaurant. For me, this is the #1 Filipino Restaurant in Tagaytay. Although, it is more expensive, you are ensured that you are getting the best quality in Filipino Food. Also, make sure that you seat near the large window with a view of the Taal Lake.
2. Viewsite Restaurant. There are two locations, one near Josephine's (which gets the customer overflow from Josephine's) and the most famous one near the Mendez intersection. Don't forget to order Tawilis which you can only find in Tagaytay.
3. Leslie's Restaurant. Similarly, there are two locations. The less known one is located in the Road going to Tagaytay from Sta. Rosa. The most famous one is located in the center of Tagaytay among the rows of restaurants. We usually alternate between Leslie's and Viewsite. Don't forget to order Sinigang or the all time Favorite Bulalo!
4. Mushroom Burger. This is an All time Favorite specially for the vegetarian folks or if you want to eat a light healthy meal. Mushroom Burger still rocks!
5. Antonio's Grill. This place is also part of the Antonio's franchise but the less successful one. It serves ilonggo cuisine. For variety, this is a good place to eat different variety to Filipino cuisine.
Please don't forget to rate this lens and tell me honestly what you think about this lens.