A Thrilling First-Hand Experience To Parashar Lake Trek
Vivid Account of Parashar Lake Trek and Forest
If you want to experience peace, adventure and thrill all at the same place then Parashar Lake trek is highly recommended. It is located 60 km from Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India. The trek is beautiful and offers a variety of landscapes and flora. It can rain anytime.
The weather remains between 16 and 22 degrees during the day in summers and between 2 to 8 degrees at nighttime.
During winters, Parashar Lake and its nearby area are covered with snow and temperature may go down to -14 degrees at nighttime. It is located at a height of 8960 feet above sea level.
This is an offbeat place and is meant for lovers of meditation, adventure and fun. The difficulty level of this trek is medium but during rain it becomes a challenge, especially when you are descending back to the base camp. If taking challenges is your passion then you may already feel excited to take this trek. So fasten your seatbelts as we go through this awesome journey.
The Trek to Parashar Lake: Beautiful and Thrilling
Beautiful Parashar Lake: Serene, Mysterious and Spiritual
Parashar Trek -- Midway Beauty of the Meadows
Base Camp: Panarsa, Himachal Pradesh, India
Hiring a Trek Guide:
- By air from Delhi and Chandigarh to Bhuntar airport which is just 25-min drive (14 km) to Panarsa base camp.
- By train, the nearest station is Una but this option is not recommended as Una is very far from Panarsa (185 km).
- Panarsa is very well connected by road so you can either drive in your own vehicle or buy a Volvo ticket online from either Redbus or other tours and travel operators.
New Delhi (Starting Point) --- Panarsa (Base Camp) --- Parashar Lake (Final Destination)
This is the point from where you need to board Volvo bus to reach Panarsa, Himachal Pradesh, India.
While travelling in the volvo for Manali, you need to specifically tell the driver to drop you at Panarsa or otherwise you may miss the location.
To reach this place, you need to hire a local guide from Panarsa base.
Traveling in Volvo is Comfortable
Benefits of Volvo Bus
- The traveling time is 12 to 12.5 hours so you may get tired while driving your own vehicle.
- The Volvo bus drivers are trained well and they have a fixed route, heading straight toward your destination.
- Volvo buses are comfortable and spacious.
- The buses start at 6 pm from New Delhi so when you will reach Panarsa it will be 7 am. You can utilize this time to sleep and relax and get yourself prepared for the next-day trek.
Accommodation at Panarsa and Parashar Lake
You can either book an all inclusive package from any of the tour operators that are operational near Manali, Mandi or Bhuntar. They will provide you food, accommodation and trekking guide at very affordable rates. As accommodation options are limited at this place, you will get guest house accommodation at Panarsa and camping accommodation at Parashar Lake temple complex.
Camps are of good quality so there is no need to worry
Rain, Slippery Trek and Leeches
The Thrilling First-Hand Experience
While I was a solo trekker when I left home to reach Panarsa, I soon joined a group of 14 trekkers at the base camp who were very energetic, adventurous and excited just like me. Everything went well while ascending toward the lake, it was the descending part where we got stuck at one point for up to 2 hours. Although lizards, bones of animals, etc. were usually seen, the most terrific of all of them were leeches which were spread throughout the trek. They increased at a considerable rate due to rain. At one point, all the mud trek got dissolved due to heavy rainfall and the only way to go down was through the dense flora. Our guide, Mintu, was a great help at that time as he was bitten by several leeches and was bleeding through several points in his body but he was still helping us ignoring his own wounds. There were girls who were crying as they fell down on a bunch of leeches and unfortunately they were wearing casual shoes with capri jeans which added to their problem. The leeches were so big that I felt so scary myself. Somehow after a lot of hard work, our guide was able to take us through an alternate way. We thanked God after moving away from that point. The next challenge was to face the slippery stones and muddy conditions. So we had a plan for that.
- We made groups of three and held each others hand.
- The person wearing trekking shoes or shoes having a firm grip on the ground was the first one to descend.
- Most of the girls were wearing casual shoes which were slippery so they were asked to put their feet on our shoes.
- The person in the front was assigned to check the soil with the stick even before moving a single step.
- At some points it was dangerously steep and and slippery that there was always a chance to go down and get hurt.
- The leeches were adding to all the challenge we were going through.
A Snake Head Shaped Plant And A Piece of Bone Found While Trekking Uphill
Animals on the Trek
Besides seeing a dead cow who got injured after slipping, we saw goats and dogs, but there were no signs of any species like Himalayan fox, black bear, yellow throat marten, barking deer, Himalayan goral or leopard as mentioned in a science alert journal that I read over the Internet days before embarking on this trip.
Clicked From The Left Side of Parashar Lake
Spiritual part of Parashar Lake
Every year in the month of June, all the locals from adjoining areas get together and celebrate "Parashar Soranahuli Fair". When we reached there, the three-day fair was already over and locals were coming down while we were going up. This is the reason why we saw a lot of food stalls and lot of garbage in and around the temple complex. At other times, the complex remains pretty clean.
Parashar Lake: Soranahuli Mela 2019
Meditating on the Top of Parashar Lake Complex: My experience At This Place was Extraordinary
Rain Started While Trekkers Prepared to Come Down to The Base Camp
Beautiful pink rose clicked at Panarsa Base Camp
Although it was really adventurous at several points, but this does not happen throughout the year. Most of the trekkers have not experienced this adrenaline rush as we were lucky enough to experience it.
This would be a completely different experience for you as it has that variety to offer. And don't forget to take photographs on the way as these will serve as your memories of a lifetime.
Seek and you will get it.
Wish and it will be served to you.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Rajinder Soni