- Travel and Places
What to Do When You're Pregnant at Disney World
Rides, Shows, Attractions that are Okay when you're Pregnant
Although roller coasters are off limits, you're in luck because Disney's Magic Kingdom has many rides, shows and experiences that are perfectly suitable for a pregnant woman.
The Magic Kingdom is probably the most friendly theme park for mothers-to-be, due to the fact that many of the rides are safe to ride and it is very easy to beat the heat by taking advantage of the many indoor rides and attractions. As long as you are ok with plenty of walking, maybe not too far along in your pregnancy, you should be able to have a good time.
If You Are Pregnant at the Magic Kingdom
For your convenience I've divided the attractions into the 6 areas of the park and made some notes on what to expect at each attraction. (FP) means you can get a Fast Pass at the attraction and board quickly within a scheduled time frame.
MAIN STREET USA
- Main Street Vehicles (Outdoor/fire engine, omnibus, horseless carriage, trolley)
- Walt Disney World Railroad (Outdoor)
- Town Square Theater (Indoor/Show)
- Jungle Cruise (Outdoor/Boat ride)
- Pirates of the CarribbeanÂ® (Indoor/Boat ride)
- Swiss Family Treehouse (Outdoor/Lots of stairs - walk thru attraction)
- The Enchanted Tiki Room (Indoor/Show)
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (Outdoor/Carousel style ride)
- Country Bear Jamboree (Indoor/Show)
- Frontierland Shootin' Arcade (Indoor/Shooting gallery)
- Tom Sawyer Island (Outdoor/Boat to island - then all walking with some stop and sit areas)
- The Hall of Presidents (Indoor/Show)
- Liberty Square Riverboat (Outdoor/Boat ride)
- The Haunted MansionÂ® (Indoor)
- It's a small world (Indoor/Boat ride)
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant (Outdoor/Carousel style ride)
- Mad Tea Party (Outdoor/Spinning teacup ride - *although this ride is safe, use your judgement due to the strong probability of motion sickness)
- Mickey's PhilharMagic (FP) (Indoor/Show)
- Peter Pan's Flight (FP) (Indoor)
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel (Outdoor/Carousel)
- Snow White's Scary Adventures (Indoor)
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (FP) (Indoor)
- Astro OrbiterÂ® (Outdoor/Carousel style ride)
- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (FP) (Indoor/Interactive ride)
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor (Indoor/Show)
- TomorrowlandÂ® Transit Authority People Mover
- Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Inside Info for Disney World
Rides NOT to Do When You Are Pregnant:
Magic Kingdom Rides and Atractions that are NOT Recommended
I don't care how brave you are, protect your baby and avoid these rides:
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Roller Coaster)
- Space MountainÂ® (Roller Coaster)
- Splash MountainÂ® (Roller Coaster)
- Stitch's Great Escape (Show) - Some may not agree with me on this one, BUT, restraints are very confining and they release an offensive smell and therefore, I do NOT recommend this attraction.
- TomorrowlandÂ® Speedway (Ride/Car on track) - Although these are not bumper cars, there is potential to get bumped pretty hard on this ride due to the (sometimes unlicensed) drivers being in control of the gas and brakes.
Tips to Enjoy Your Day While Pregnant
PLENTY OF SUNSCREEN - pregnant women are more susceptible to sunburn and walking from attraction to attraction you WILL be in the sun.
MONORAIL, NOT THE FERRY - You will need to make a choice to get over the entrance of the Magic Kingdom. You are more likely to stand on the ferry and wait longer to be herded in and out like cattle. The monorail is air-conditioned, there is more seating and although you may have to wait a little while to get on, getting out is faster and easier than the ferry by far.
HYDRATE - Disney will not stop you from bringing in your own water. You can also buy it everywhere or find drinking fountains by all the restrooms. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
AC - During Florida's many HOT Summer months, it is dangerous for a pregnant mother and her unborn baby to overheat. Take advantage of the indoor attractions, restaurants, and rides to beat the heat in the air conditioning.
KEEP IT COOL -Treat yourself to a Dole Whip in Adventureland or ice cream which is available everywhere. Eat your cold stuff in the shade. Get yourself a water spray fan to keep a constantly cool.
FREE YOUR FEET - Use a little strategy between your fastpasses, and attractions with short wait times to rest your feet often and get the most out of your day
EARLY BIRDS - Get to the park for opening. You will beat the heat and beat the crowds. You won't feel too bad leaving in the heat of the day if you've got your money's worth of rides and attractions.
SIESTA SAVES - If you are staying nearby or on Disney property, take advantage of the long open hours and really beat the crowds by leaving for your hotel in the afternoon for a long siesta. Go back for dinner and enjoy shorter lines and a cooler evening.
HITCH A RIDE - Walt Disney World Railroad stops in Frontierland and right at the front of the park at Main Street USA. Strategize your movements around the park to end your day in Frontierland and forego a miles worth of walk back to the beginning.
FASTPASS FABULOUS - Get a Fastpass for Buzz and ride the Peoplemover while you wait, get a Fastpass to Peter Pan and do "it's a small world" to kill time before your Fastpass time comes up.
SEASONALLY SMART - If you can help it, skip the trip during the summer. Central Florida is much to hot for expectant moms in the summer, but it is an amazing place to warm up in the winter! With the extreme weather in this area, make sure you go at a comfortable time.
AVOIDING CROWDS - Visiting during less crowded days will prevent standing in long lines and waiting for tables and benches. Check ot the Disney Crowd Calendar 2012.
FIRST AID - Know that First Aid is located next to the Crystal Palace restaurant on Main Street USA.
RESTROOMS - Make sure you have a map and can find all those restrooms for frequent pit stops!
WHEELCHAIRS and ECVs - If you are really not up for the excessive walking, break down and rent a wheelchair or Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV) at Guest Services.
Dining at Disney When You're Pregnant
Sit down and indoor locations
- The Crystal Palace - Table Service/Indoor
- Tony's Town Square - Table Service/Indoor
- Plaza Restaurant
- Tortuga Tavern - Covered open air seating
- Cinderella's Royal Table - Table Service/Indoors
- Pinocchio Village Haus - Counter Service/Patio seating
- Diamond Horseshoe Review - (Seasonally open)
- Liberty Square Tavern - Table Service
- Columbia House
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
- Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (Seasonally open)
Here's lots more info on all the restaurants that offer Table Service at the Magic Kingdom. Bon Appetit!
Why Pregnant Women Need to Avoid Rides
Not Just Motion Sickness
Roller coasters are known for their jarring motions, quick starts and stops, changing direction on a dime, G-force, and their restraints that will put pressure on a pregnant belly or make it difficult to properly fasten for a safe ride.
The main risk in riding these types of vehicles is a placental abruption which means that the placenta either partially or completely separates from the uterus. This can happen after 20 weeks of pregnancy and can cause death to both the fetus and the mother.
The good thing is that theme parks have a vested interest in making sure all their guests ride safely and leave their attractions in relatively good condition, aside from sunburns and motion sickness. Signage will always let pregnant women know if they should not ride.
Tickets, Information, Discounts and Special Events
Do Pregnant Women Ride Roller Coasters?
Many women will do things that are not generally recommended while pregnant. Add riding roller coasters to the list right under drinking alcohol, smoking, and eating unpasteurized cheese.
Although you will probably not find a doctor or expert that will say it is ok for you to ride while pregnant, you will find plenty of women who have ignored the signs and ridden roller coasters. Theme parks recommend that people do not ride the ride while pregnant, but they will generally not stop a pregnant woman from riding if that is what she demands to do. Just like a liquor store will still sell her a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of Jack Daniels, it is the still mother's call if she wants to light up and take a shot.
Poll: Are You a Risk Taker or Playing it Safe?
Many women haven taken roller coaster rides and swear they were fine. Not an option for me, but have you ever taken that risk?