Wisconsin Dells Indoor Water Parks
Slip, Slide and Have a Blast, Even When it's 40 Below Outside
Winters in the Upper Midwest can be brutal. That's probably why indoor water parks have become so popular in this part of the country (just a guess). Water park resorts offer a perpetually tropical environment where families can go to have fun regardless of what the temperature is outside. Little getaways like this can be the key to keeping your sanity over the long winter months.
There are indoor parks in most cold weather states, but the vast majority are located in Wisconsin Dells. Where else would they be? The Dells is the unofficial Water Park Capital of the World, and with the advent of indoor parks, the fun now goes on all year long. No other place has more hotels and resorts with indoor water slides, lazy rivers, and other fun attractions.
Top 5 Indoor Water Attractions in the Dells
You Will Get Wet on These Rides - Really!
Whichever indoor water attraction you're looking for, Wisconsin Dells has it at one of its many resorts. I mean, most states don't even have an indoor water coaster - and yet the Dells has two. While it's really hard to choose, here are my picks for the best attractions in town.
1. Flyan Mayan Zip Coaster (Chula Vista). This ride is a cross between a roller coaster and a water slide (thus the name water coaster. While normal slides rely on gravity alone, this one propels you upward via water jets. This ride is billed as the longest and fastest indoor water coaster in the world.
2. The Wild Waterdome (Wildnerness Territory). This huge wave pool has a see-through roof overhead, giving visitors that "beach" experience even in January. Parents really enjoy this one, as they can catch some rays (yes, you can get a tan in there) while the kids splash around in the zero depth entry pool.
3. The FlowRider (Kalahari). FlowRider surfing simulators are popular at water parks throughout the country, so I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one on this list. The one at the Kalahari is particularly cool.
4. Whirly Bird Run (Great Wolf Lodge). Just your average everyday indoor water slide that's over 400 feet long.
5. Victoria Falls (Kalahari). If you're looking for a ride the whole family can go on, you can't do better than this epic raft ride at the Kalahari.
Kalahari Wipeout! - Taking on the Flowrider Surfing Simulator
The Flowrider surfing simulator is one of the most popular attractions at indoor parks. Watch these people try their luck at the one at the Kalahari.
Mt. Olympus Highlights - Tube Slides, Lazy River, and Lots More
Mt. Olympus is one of the biggest water parks in Wisconsin Dells. Here's a promo video highlighting the indoor portion.
Great Wolf Lodge - Soaked - The Giant Tipping Bucket is Just the "Tip" of the Iceberg
The Great Wolf Lodge franchise is all over North America - no surprise that they have a location in the Dells. Here's a promo video that shows what it's all about.
Wilderness Territory Fun and Sun - Catching Rays at the Wild WaterDome
Wilderness Territory is a mammoth water park resort that's spread out in multiple buildings connected via skywalks and labyrinth hallways. Here's a video showcasing the Wild WaterDome, which features a wave pool and a clear roof that lets the sun in year-round.
Chula Vista - The Complete Package - Indoor and Outdoor Amusement
Chula Vista is a large indoor/outdoor water park that's a little off the beaten path (which could be a good thing if you want to avoid a lot of hustle and bustle). Here's a video showing the full range of activities at this large resort.