How to Make Healthy Homemade Tortillas
Healthy, Easy, and Tasty!
You will never buy storebought AGAIN!
As a low carb dieter, I am always craving carbs on my cheat days. I still try to avoid white flour on and have found that the wheat tortillas sold at the store are expensive and lack flavor. I have recently began homemaking noodles, crusts, and pretty much everything else so why not tortillas?
I went on a search for the perfect homemade wheat tortilla recipe. I found many but they didn't seem to work well for me so I continued to tweak the recipe until I had the one that I felt was the best. This recipe is quick, easy, and great for thrift people like me! The store bought tortillas will cost anywhere between $3 and $5 depending on the brand...10 wheat tortillas cost me less than $1.
The BEST part about making these tortillas at home is that you can add your favorite flavoring to make them extra special! Try adding cilantro, chili powder, garlic salt, sun dried tomato paste...or anything else you can think of!
Enjoy making your homemade tortillas and eating them!
- 3 Cups Flour, Wheat or works with white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil, vegetable or canola
- 1 cup water, hot
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- to taste SEASONINGS, your choice
Get your hands dirty!
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add the oil and get your hands dirty! Incorporate the oil until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add 1 cup of hot water and mix with your hands until a ball develops. You should let this ball rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Pull off a bit of the dough and roll it out until it is pretty flat. These don't need to be perfect circles BUT if you must have a perfect circle- simply use an upside down plate and a pizza cutter. Lay the plate (one smaller than your rolled out circle) upside down on the rolled out tortilla and trace with the pizza cutter! Presto...perfect circle!
- Simply place this in a warm skillet that is set on medium-high (I spray mine with cooking spray but it isn't necessary). You will see the air pockets taking shape as it cooks. When it becomes golden on the cooking side - flip it over! You will be left with a beautiful golden tortilla!
Have Leftovers? Want to make them for all week?
Leftovers can be refrigerated in a plastic storage bag or container and warmed in the microwave when you are ready to use them. Make a big batch so you have them whenever you need a quick snack!