Homemade BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
Best Meatloaf Recipe
Meatloaf is good anytime and for any occasion. I use to make a meatloaf at least a few times a month. With the high price of meat these days, my husband and I and had many meatless meals. Meat of any kind has gotten to be a luxury.
Early this week my husband brought up the fact that we hadn't had made meatloaf in years. Ground beef was on sale at the grocery store. I bought the 3 lb. package to be broken up for separate meals. The ground beef was 83% lean Angus beef. We once bought some that was 73% lean. By time it was cooked up, there was a lot of grease to drain. In any case using ground beef that is less then 83% lean in a meatloaf is not a good idea since it is cooked in the oven raw in the pan.
We have had many different versions of meatloaf. We decided that adding BBQ sauce for that extra zing instead of the traditional tomato sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
Depending on how you slice it and your appetite this meatloaf recipe feeds a family of four (more or less).
This recipe was a group effort with my husband and me. It is always nice when we work together in the kitchen.
Photo credit: Homemade Homemade Postcard by Sandyspider Gifts on Zazzle
Prep Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 1 Hr. 15 min.
Serves: 4 people
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Honey BBQ sauce
- 1 cup dried seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or your hands, all the ingredients together and only half of the BBQ sauce. Mix in the salt and pepper, the amount that you choose to taste.
- Make sure it can be formed into a loaf. If it is not firm enough add a little more bread crumbs.
- Place the ground beef loaf mixture in a 5"x 7" loaf pan.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Then carefully drain the grease in a container.
- Add the remaining Honey BBQ sauce over the top of the loaf. Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Total bake in the oven is one hour. This may vary according to how your oven cooks.
BBQ Meatloaf Recipe is Extraordinary
Loaf and Baking Pan
Meatloaf Recipe Book with Taste
Mixing Bowl Set,
© 2013 Sandy Mertens