How to First Aid for Pets-Cats And Dogs-

FIRST AID CATS AND

DOGS

THINGS YOU CAN DO BEFORE THE VET

When your pet is seriously injured,there are things you can do to help.Remember,though, an animal in pain may bite at anyone, even his/her owner. If you don't need to keep the mouth free to take in liquids, make a mouth tie from whatever's available before moving or examining the pet. Tie securely around pet's muzzle, well behind back of the nose so that the animal can breathe. In case of cats or very small dogs, it may be simpler to just wear heavy gloves.

HEAVY BLEEDING:

Use direct pressure, not a tourniquet. Press gauze or a clean rag (use cotton as a last resort) against the blood vessel. Then wrap a firm bandage around the pack. This will slow things down until you reach the vet.

BROKEN BONES:

Imobilize the limb to prevent bone from puncturing the skin - making a temporary splint from two pieces of wood or cardboard tied together with a belt or rope. If a pet resists, don't struggle. Keep him quiet and warm and get him to vet quickly.

SHOCK:

If mucous membranes (check pet's gums) are pale instead of pink, skin is clammy and cold and pulse is rapid but weak, your pet is in shock. Keep an animal in shock warm. If the animal is conscious, administer fluid.

MOVING INJURED PETS:

Use a coat or blanket as a makeshift stretcher. Find some one to help, so each of you can lift one end. If you must lift the pet yourself, do not hold him around the abdomen. . Pick him up in one move by putting an arm under his fore and hind limbs.

ELECTRIC SHOCK:

If your pet gets a jolt from chewing on an electric cord, unplug the cord before going to the rescue. Use something wooden to remove wire from the mouth.

SWALLOWED OBJECTS:

Don't try to disengage something lodged in a

pet's throat unless the object is at the top of the throat or you may be severely bitten. Allow vet to handle fishhooks, needles, porcupine quills and other tricky objects. If you know your pet has swallowed a small toy, coin or ball, an emetic of equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water will help him throw it up. Administer 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture for each 10 pounds of pet.

BEE AND WASP STINGS:

Apply cold compresses to relieve discomfort, then cover with an analgesic ointment like Unguentine or a heavy paste of bicarbonate of soda. If pet is in shock, take to vet.

POISONING:

The symptoms are copious drooling, shaking, abdominal. shallow wreathing, diarrhea and

sometimes convulsions. (A pet in convulsions is close to death and should be rushed to the vet.)

Toxic poisons:

If your pet has ingested roach or rat poison, lead paint or a poisonous plant

(philodendron, lily-of-the-valley and poinsettias are common ones), induce vomiting by administering 1/2 cup of water mixed with 2 teaspoons salt, or equal parts of water and hydrogen peroxide. Follow with an antidote. Some common household products have the antidote printed on the label. Otherwise stir 3 to 4 tablespoons of activated charcoal (available at drugstores) into a glass of warm water and slowly pour into a pocket created by pulling out animal's lower lip.

Corrosive poisons:

For poisons containing lye (drain or toilet-bowl cleaners) or such volatile agents as turpentine or gasoline, emetics are not in order. Rush the pet to the vet.

Surface poisoning:

First flood affected area with water. Follow with a solution of equal parts water and vinegar for alkaline substances; for acid substances, use a bicarbonate of soda solution (1 tablespoon to 1 pint water). Keep rinsing area with tap water.

BURNS:

After securing a mouth tie, cut away hair in burned area and apply tannic-acid jelly or strong, cool tea if possible. Soothe superficial burns with ice cubes; then apply burn ointment (never use lard or butter). If animal is burned over a large area of his body, immerse in tub of cold water; then get to vet quickly.

HEATSTROKE:

The symptoms are: staggering, vomiting, loud panting, looking bleary-eyed. Place stricken animal in shade and sponge with cold water or cold rubbing alcohol.

CUTS, ABRASIONS, BITES:

Wash with soap and water; apply mild antiseptic and a bandage. If there's heavy bleeding, press a bandage soaked with boric-acid solution or peroxide against

wound until bleeding slows, then bandage. Puncture wounds are liable to infection; keep a careful watch for later swelling and call your vet to see if a shot is necessary.

Comments

No comments yet.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    More by this Author


    Click to Rate This Article
    working