First Aid Care For Wildlife And Your Pets
LOOK After Our Wildlife
Do you know what to do if you are driving along the road and come across an injured animal ? Do you stop to take care of it or are you the type to leave it for someone else ?
We should all learn at least the basic first aid for animals and what we should as well as shouldn't do when we come across an injured animal as we are losing too many native animals like the Kiwi and Tasmanian Devil so we need to care for the animals we do have
The animal could have been hit by another car or we had many kangaroos burnt in the Victorian Fires .
Other animals could have been hurt in the earth quakes or floods.
Wherever you are in the World Please- before you travel find out who it is you contact if you should come across an injured animal and their phone number so you can stop and do the right thing .
"I am a creature wild and free
so if you love me let me be
As soon as I am well please set me free.
Each creature plays a unique part in nature -
so if it's not injured or sick leave it be "
We Stopped for this bird
First Aid For your Pets
Emergency First Aid
Hopefully you can save your pet a knowing what to do if your dog is injured or has an unexpected medical emergency could be the difference between life and death
Emergency actions for you to follow.
- Make sure you always have a first aid kit ready.
- be very Cautious If your pet has been injured, remember that frightened or hurt dogs can bite the people they know and love. Small dogs (that do not have fractured bones) can be wrapped snugly in an old towel.
- Slow down external bleeding with manual compression or a compression bandage around the limbs. Tourniquets are generally not advisable because they can inadvertently cut the circulation from the limb.
- Do not move your dog unnecessarily. Lift injured dogs with a board or blanket if they cannot walk.
- Keep your dog warm, particularly if unconscious, wet or in shock from hemorrhaging or other trauma.
- For dogs that are clearly not breathing, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) may help:
- Artificial breathing in small dogs may be accomplished with chest compressions;
- In larger animals, air can be blown through the nose while the dog's mouth is manually closed;
- Heart compressions may be effective while the dog is lying on his side.
- Remember: vigorous CPR can be dangerous if the dog is breathing or has a beating heart.
Please Don't Litter
Plastic bags cause the death of many turtles as the bags look like jelly fish which turtles eat and sadly people keep throwing them out.
When you litter you are making it difficult for the animals everywhere as well as killing our wildlife so PLEASE DO NOT LITTER THE COUNTRYSIDE AND WATERWAYS.
Be careful in Boats
Make sure that you don't make a sudden stop when you see a hurt animal causing a crash rather find somewhere safe to park that allows you to safely get out of your car.
Whatever animal it is but especially wildlife make sure you approach it with caution especially kangaroos as they might kick out at you.
Find a a towel or piece of clothing to throw over a bird or small mammal before attempting to pick it up to avoid you getting scratched or bitten.
To keep them warm small animals can be put under the front of a persons jumper, this is a safe, reliable heat source.
Make sure you don't give animals anything to eat or drink as they need to be checked first or get advice from a rehabilitation centre.
If you have a cardboard box that is the ideal way to transport them if possible.
Make a call to WIRES or whoever it is you need to contact in your country or state where you are.
Finding A Dead Animal
If you come across a dead animal make sure you always check the pouch as animals such as kangaroos, possums and bandicoots carry their young in a pouch. Watch out for a bulge or movement inside a pouch as it may indicate a live young. Gently remove the joey, taking care not to cause any further injury. A large animal that has been dead for several hours may still have live young in its pouch.
Save Our Wildlife
WIRES aims to actively rehabilitate and preserve Australian wildlife and inspire others to do the same
In NSW no person is allowed to care for native animals without an annual authority to act issued under the licence held by WIRES or another licenced wildlife rehabilitation organisation or by a privately licenced individual. You must be over 18 to attend a WIRES training course.
WIRES training courses provide an understanding of how animals become injured and come into our care. Courses are held at locations throughout NSW, generally between February and November.
- Animal adoptions, wildlife protection, wildlife conservation, stopping the illegal hunting trade: Ca
Animal adoptions, wildlife protection, wildlife conservation, stopping the illegal hunting trade: Care For The Wild International
- Training Courses
Wires (The NSW Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service Inc) is the largest wildlife rescue organisation in Australia. We receive over 100,000 calls every year to rescue sick injured and orphaned native wildlife
Download a copy of our Glove Box Guide for Sick, Injured and Orphaned wildlife
- PRICKLY BALL FARMFarm visitor attraction with Camping & Caravanning - Home Page
Here at Prickly Ball we have a large variety of animals including ferrets, pigs, ponies, donkeys, rabbits, guniea pigs and many more all of which we include in our daily activities giving you the opportunity to get a real hands on expierence with all
Prickly Ball Farm
If you find a hurt /injured animal in the Kimberley area please contact the people below for help.
Kimberley Wildlife Rescue Inc
10 Leichhardt St
0407 691 229
More by this Author
Have you had a heart attack + a pacemaker put in & are wondering if it is safe to resume sex ? We are enjoying a great love life after my husband suffered his heart attack + recieved a pacemaker .Sex after a...
Do you love the freedom of Independent camping ? Here are some beautiful camping sites like Marys pool, Swans Crossing + more free camp sites to enjoy !Check out this on hubpages.
Are you looking for funny resignation letters to use to resign from your job ? Here is a choice of resignation letters for you.