How to Make Spinach Dog Treats
Support your doggie's heart health with homemade spinach biscuits. This biscuit recipe includes Parmesan or a Parmesan substitute and is naturally sweetened with carrot juice. (Go ahead... try a bite.)
The recipe below makes 24 vegetarian treats that most dogs find irresistible.
Why Put Spinach in Dog Biscuits?
Spinach is nutritious and can easily be combined with flavors your dog loves. Here are some benefits of spinach:
- It's rich in antioxidants.
- It has omega-3 fatty acids.
- It contains calcium, iron, Vitamin E and more than 20 other vitamins and minerals.
Spinach also provides a nominal source of protein. There are about 2 grams of protein in 3.5 ounces of spinach.
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast or grated Parmesan
- 1 2/3 c frozen spinach
- 1 c grated carrot
- 1/8 c water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Thaw the spinach and cook it slightly until warm.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Mix the oats, flour and nutritional yeast or Parmesan in a bowl.
- Puree the spinach, carrots and water in a blender.
- Pour the puree into your bowl of dry ingredients.
- Add the olive oil and stir with a fork.
- Prepare a baking sheet in your favorite non-stick way.
- Place rounded tablespoons of the floury spinach mixture onto the cooking sheet, just as if you were making chocolate chip cookies. Then flatten each ball with a spatula or the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool the biscuits out of your dog's reach. Serve only when the biscuits have cooled.
Your homemade dog biscuits can be kept for a week or two in the refrigerator. You can also store them in your freezer for several months.
Dog Recipe Books
More by this Author
A piano that pulls cats' tails? Read about five musical instruments that somehow involve cats. Presenting the cat piano, the saron, the shamisen, the singing saw and the sistrum.
This article explores the life and cat art of Louis Wain. Wain's art stands out partly because it reflects his progressive schizophrenia.
What jobs has Homer Simpson held? We know him best as a power plant worker, but Homer has taken on almost 200 paid jobs. Here is a sampling of Homer’s many jobs along with career info from real life.