Komondor Dog Breed: Facts, Pictures & Information
Komondor aka Mop Dog
- Originally from area around Hungary, highly valued by Magyar shepherds.
- Bred for livestock protection (fought off wolves and other predators).
- Earliest documented komondors date to 1544, but definitely existed prior to that.
- 1933: komondors came to america, where they have been used successfully for protection.
- Can exceed 30 inches in height.
- Socialization is essential.
- Requires daily exercise.
- Will rest in day, constantly patrolling at night.
- Usually knocks down intruders and pins them until owner arrives.
- Has been used effectively to protect livestock from wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars, and other predators.
- Dangerous without obedience training (they take well to training as long as it is started at a young age 4-8 months).
- Does not like warm weather (look at all those cords!)
- Nonshedding, tendency for dirtiness (dirt stuck in locks).
- If gets wet, can take a whole day to dry.
- Locks form around 2 years old.
- Life span 10-12 years.
- Except in Hungary, komondors are an uncommon breed.
- Thinks for itself.
- Authoritative, controlling.
- Will dominate if given the chance.
- Good with other pets and especially good with livestock.
- Happy watching over things.
- Usually calm and quiet, but courageous.
- Natural guardian, protective.
- Can be rough, not best near children it doesn't know (protective of owner's children).
More by this Author
An overview of the Tunguska Event of 1908 including eyewitness accounts. Tunguska fireball Siberia 1908.
Throughout history there have been many claims of levitation. This Levitation trick was used for centuries in India fooling thousands of intrigued followers. Levitation revealed Yogis use trickery and illusion to gain...
Bermuda Triangle Theories: over 100 missing ships and airplanes, over 1000 people dead. Have a look at the strongest theories of the Bermuda Triangle and the weirdest experiences as to the disappearances in the Bermuda...