Routine Aquarium Maintenance
In order to keep your goldfish and their environment looking their best - and, more importantly - in good health, you will need to establish some daily and weekly routines. In addition, you'll need to 'spring clean' the aquarium thoroughly once a year.
Partial water changes
One of the most important things you can do for your goldfish is to ensure that the quality of the water in their aquarium is good. This means not only providing an adequate and fully functioning filtration system, but also siphoning out 10-20% of their water every week and replacing it with fresh. Don't use water straight from the tap: fill a bucket and leave it overnight to reach room temperature, then add a water conditioner to remove any chlorine.
Cleaning an External Filter
- Turn the coupling tags to the off position and undo the plastic nuts securing the taps to the filter body. Place the filter in a shallow bowl and tilt it to drain off most of the water.
- Remove the motor from the canister by releasing the locking tabs and separating the two main components. Remove the impeller and clean all plastic parts with a cloth.
- Remove the internal basket containing the filter media. (This filter has a one-piece assembly, but some filters have separate modules for the different filter materials.)
- Remove the filter media from the internal basket. Discard the soiled filter floss and the exhausted activated carbon. Both will need to be replaced. Gently wash the permanent media in water taken from the tank. Loose-fill the special bag, or an old stocking, with fresh carbon and reassemble the media. Replace the motor unit. Couple the filter to the taps and turn them to the 'on' position.
Making a note of when you carry out routine maintenance tasks and the results of water tests is a wise habit to develop. This will show you when such tasks are due and will also draw attention to any potential problems. Also note changes in behaviour of your fish, which might indicate the start of health problem.
Until the tank is six weeks old, check for ammonia and nitrite at least once a week (or before adding more fish). Water quality problems can still arise later if the tank becomes overstocked, equipment stops working properly or you fail to carry out water changes. Check nitrite, nitrate and pH levels regularly. If you detect a problem, do a partial water change to dilute it, then consider the cause.
Going On Holiday
If you are going away for only a day or two, your goldfish won't miss you. You can buy 'vacation blocks', which contain food in a compressed block that gradually dissolves in the aquarium. The best option, however, is to find a responsible friend to look after your goldfish for you while you are away, ideally in your own home. Alternatively, if you have only a couple of fish, you could move them into a smaller holiday tank to take to a friend's house, but make sure this tank has adequate filtration. Don't forget to give your friend written instructions on caring for your fish while you are away and leave the phone number of the veterinarian or local aquatic dealer or pet shop in case there are any problems. It is also a good idea to measure out the food into separate plastic bags to prevent an enthusiastic friend from overfeeding your fish.
- Aquarium Filtration and Filter Types
It is crucial that you maintain good water quality if your goldfish are to survive. Water is a fish's life support, from which it obtains oxygen to breathe - but it is also the fish's toilet. In the confined...
- Setting up an Aquarium - Creating a Safe and Healthy Home for Your Goldfish
Most goldfish varieties are inexpensive both to buy and to maintain - once you've properly set up their aquarium, that is. Even if you plan to keep only a few Common goldfish, you will need to budget for an...
More by this Author
Thermal burns occur when a ball python comes into contact with a surface that is too hot or when it rests for a long period of time on a very warm surface. Thermal burns can be caused by heat lamps, hot rocks that are...
Goldfish are probably the most popular pet fish in the world. A goldfish aquarium forms a decorative feature in any room. Unlike other ornaments, however, goldfish do require some care and attention - though they're...
Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy is a immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system. It is believed that the condition is caused by immune cells attacking the exterior...