Difference Between Horns and Antlers
Horns and antlers are skull appendages that function either as weapons for offense and defense or mate-selection tools in the animal kingdom. Although many of us can easily distinguish antlers from horns by just looking at them alone, there are still many who still erroneously refer to antlers as "horns". To help establish a clear distinction between the two, below are the salient differences between horns and antlers:
Horns vs. Antlers
- Antlers are made up of true bones while horns are made up of a fibrous protein called keratin similar to what we have in our fingernails.
- Antlers are shed and regrown annually while horns are permanent in nature and will continue to grow throughout the animal's life.
- Antlers appear as a multi-branched protrusion from an animal's skull while horns are unbranched and have curved or spiral forms.
- Horns are found on both males and females of certain animal groups while antlers are found only on males of certain animal groups.
- Antlers are commonly found in deers, moose, caribou, and elk while horns are mostly found on buffaloes, goats, sheep, cows, and rhinos.
Photos of Animals with Antlers
Photos of Animals with Horns
More by this Author
Ever wondered why your belly button smells like it needs a complete wash-up? Find out what is causing that odor and how to properly clean your navel in order to keep that funny odor from coming back.
Looking for other games like Roblox for a fun-filled video gaming adventure? You're in the right place. This page lists the most popular building games similar to Roblox. Check them out.
Are you looking for alternative to eBay to buy or sell goods online? These are the best online marketplaces, some of which have a niche. Check out all the options!
No comments yet.