jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

My dog is obsessed with Plants

1. junebaby profile image62
    junebabyposted 6 years ago

Just after Thanksgiving we got a dog, she is a Chocolate Lab and Vizsla mix. She is a beautful dog and has a wonderful personality. BUT, she has a habit of digging up and playing w/ it til the leaves fall off. She runs figure 8s until she is tired. I am not sure if it is the Vizsla in her that makes her very hyper. Has anyone else had this type of experience?

1. MaxW profile image59
      MaxWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

She is just a few weeks, right? I think maybe just because she is too young too know everything, just like a baby. Our dog was almost the same  when he just came to us. though he didn't play with plants, what he did was destroying things- every things around him!! but now he is almost 6 years old and most of his bad habits have gong!!

1. junebaby profile image62
        junebabyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, she is about a year old. The vet guessed her age at about 18 months, but we think she is a little younger than that.

2. spiderspun profile image60
      spiderspunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You have a breed of dog that is very active and needs tons of walks/runs. Take the dog out for three big walks a day. At the same time teach basic sit stay wait commands and in less than a week your dog will no need to use energy/attention seek because its needs are being met

2. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

my bunny does what's called "The Bunny 500", where she just races around the room for no apparent reason. she also digs when she can get away with it. rabbits (and dogs, especially Labs) are just natural diggers. she is just following her instinct i would imagine. plus she has a lot of energy to burn off. have you tried taking her for walks and stuff?

1. MaxW profile image59
      MaxWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Walking her is a good idea. one of my friends walks his dog four times each day to burn his extra energy off so that he won't demolish their house!

3. AnywhereGardener profile image60
    AnywhereGardenerposted 6 years ago

Oh yeah, I just replant my roses that Tucker digs up and hope they make it to spring. My other dogs liked to actually eat the rose canes, thornes and all!
    If you can hang on until the puppy stage is over, they say after two years, it should get better.
    Good luck!!

4. wychic profile image78
    wychicposted 6 years ago

The only Vizslas I ever worked with were Vizsla cross sled dogs, does that answer the question? tongue They are a fairly high-energy breed, and 12-18 months is still young for a dog and most I know at that age are still acting like puppies. How much space does she have to run? Sounds kind of stir crazy to me. The pup I got in October LOVES plants, especially my nasurtiums, but with regular reinforcement she's learning that her toys are good to chew on, but the plants aren't.

5. Sara Tonyn profile image59
    Sara Tonynposted 6 years ago

What type of plant is your dog eating? There are hundreds that are unhealthy, even deadly, to dogs. Often times those are the plants dogs are most attracted to.

The same is true of cats but not all the plants are the same for both dogs and cats.

These might help you: