Feeding our wild birds.

1. janine cope profile image61
    janine copeposted 6 years ago

This is the time to be feeding our garden birds and woodland birds. The weather is extremely cold and the birds need as much help as possible. You can make this inexpensive by using up all the scraps from your kitchen or you can do what i do and buy seed and sultanas for the blackbirds, and mealworms for the thrushes. You must however be consistant, dont feed them one day and then miss 2 or 3 days. They will give you so much pleasure and this insures that when breeding season is here these birds are in prime condition. Always remember to continue to feed the birds through breeding season. A lot of people think they dont need it, this however is untrue. Both parent birds feed the young, so if anything happens to one of them can you imagine how difficult it will be for the one parent to rear maybe 2,3, 4 or more babys. Also if food is available for mum and dad this means that they will be able to spend all their time and energy into rearing these little babes. After breeding season the parent birds need to gain the weight they lost during breeding season and fatten up for winter. Always check before you start chopping trees and hedges from april through to end of july. If you need any info please contact me.

2. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

hello and welcome janine cope, your father wrote about you on a Hub earlier and I had to enquire if you were over 18 as he seemed to be describing someone younger, assuming you are over 18, I am happy to share my knowledge of the birds that surround me and whom I love, I feed the birds here every day, nuts for the blue/great/tits and seeds for Mr Robin and the rest of the gang, I have posted some pics of the birds here in Ireland, but I will up load some more, on my Blog theirishobserver.blogspot.com I have a slide show with some of my best pics....... hope that helps smile

1. pyvonne profile image60
      pyvonneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I thought robins only ate worms.....yvonne