jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do Not Give Away Pets for Free

1. charlene4 profile image60
    charlene4posted 4 years ago

We see it all the time, "FREE TO GOOD HOME". These are the pets we later find malnourished, diseased, abused, and sometimes dead. If a person is looking for a free pet, it's probably because they have no money! Most times, these pets don't get fed, don't get Vet checkups, are abused, left outside on a chain all day (and sometimes all night), all of the above, or worse. If you have a pet you need to give to a good home, as for ANYTHING. maybe a donation, or a small fee ($20 or more). People amaze me! I hear about it all the time. Somebody who isn't willing to pay for a pet, is probably not willing to take care of it. There ARE exceptions, so if you've taken a free animal and love and care for that pet, this isn't referring to you.

Let's be good to our animal companions, they are certainly good to us.

1. Diane Inside profile image87
      Diane Insideposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I gave away a dog I had for two years she was spoiled rotten too.  When I gave her away I found a nice family who lived out in the country and had two girls ages 8 and 10. They loved my Cassie. She now had a huge country yard to run around in and children to play with her. She was housetrained and they kept in the house as part of the family.  I think if you do a little due diligence you can find a home and give them away and feel good about the process.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Doesn't mean everyone is like that. How do you put a price on a life?

2. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

Unfortunately, the big problem with many "free to good home" pets is they end up being sold to labs or worse. Obviously, you can't put a price on love or life, but if someone is willing to pay money for a pet, chances are they are not going to resell the pet for less money then they paid for it. If you are going to give away a pet, give it to someone who you know and trust or take it to a shelter.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Laboratories are legally prevented from buying other than from registered Class B dealers or in a few states dog pounds.  Labs buying dogs off private owners hasn't happened in decades.

3. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

When we found a stray cat outside our house, my mom did not want to keep it. She couldn't quiet her conscience long enough to drop it off at a shelter, so she put up fliers offering the cat for adoption for free. We got several calls from teenagers- real jerk's that I knew from school who wanted the cat and that was when my mom realized they didn't actually want the cat, and that the cat would likely end up dead or seriously abused in their hands and we decided to keep her in the end.

I'm so glad we did- I cannot imagine what could have happened to her. I would feel completely comfortable giving her away for free to my best friend or other people who I know would take good care of her, but I would not just put her picture up in the classifieds and offer her for free. Too many wackos out there for that.

4. jennzie profile image84
    jennzieposted 4 years ago

Here's more info on what can happen to 'free' pets:

http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/animal_a … e_pets.php