How To Make Slime - Oozy, Gooey Fun For Kids
You know that wonderful slippery, colored slime that you often see being poured over people in bucket loads on kid's TV shows on Nickelodeon?
Kids can make their own oozy slime, just like the stuff they see on TV, for crazy, gooey, slippery fun with this simple activity.
This is just one slime recipe. Other methods for making slime are demonstrated in the videos below.
Make sure that kids have an adult present while making this slime. Slime MUST NOT be eaten. The ingredient borax could be harmful if swallowed. Please make sure that hands are washed carefully after playing with slime to remove any traces of borax.
- Plastic bag that can be sealed
- Paper towels
- Paddle Pop stick
- 2 plastic teaspoons
Things You Need
- PVA glue
- Food coloring
- Borax powder (find it in the laundry section of your supermarket)
- 2 plastic cups
- In a plastic cup, mix together three (3) teaspoons of PVA glue, three (3) teaspoons of water and three (3) drops of food coloring - whatever color you want!
- Pour a cup of water into the second cup. Add one (1) heaped teaspoon of borax powder . This will make borax solution. (Borax is a type of soap.)
- Add one (1) teaspoon of borax solution to the cup of colored glue. Stir quickly and well with the Paddle Pop stick. Your slime should form. If not, add a little more borax solution, but not too much or your slime will go hard.
- Knead the slime like dough to get rid of any extra water until it is just right.
- Store your slime in the sealed plastic bag.
- Have fun !!!
- Remember to wash your hands after making or playing with slime.
Check out these Slime toys!
Wondering why putting these ingredients together creates slime?
Slime forms because of a reaction between the PVA glue and the borax.
PVA, which is short for polyvinyl acetate, contains a polymer which is a chemical made up of long chains.
The borax solution makes these chemical chains link sideways as well. This is known as cross linking, and it is this that gives the mixture the consistency of slime.
Science Bob Demonstrates Three Ways To Make Slime
© 2010 coolstuff4kids
More by this Author
Easy, cheap paper plate craft to amuse children. Very simple but effective using paper plates.
Learn how to make and decorate photo frames. This is a great craft idea for kids of all ages. Decorated photo frames are perfect handmade gifts, and are easy and fun to make.
A cheap and easy way to get rid of nits and headlice quickly without using toxic chemicals. Worked for my family!
No comments yet.