How to Draw Caricatures Using Simple Shapes
A caricature is either a simplified or an exaggerated version of a character's features. For example, if the person you're mirroring for your caricature has a large mouth, you can draw huge almost inflated lips. I love drawing caricatures, you can really go crazy when drawing their features.
The caricature I drew above is named Kat Patch.I chose the name based on her features, which resemble a cabbage patch kid and the Cheshire cat. Drawing caricatures really allow me to use my imagination. Characters drawn as caricatures tend to stand out more.
Things to Keep in Mind When Drawing a Caricature
1. Give your caricature's face an odd shape, something to make it look different and give it some character.
2. Exaggerate the lines, and features of your caricature's face.
3. Use your imagination, create a weird name, and look for your caricature.
4. Have fun!!!!! This one is the most important.
Let's Get Started
Anyone can draw outlandish caricatures, it just takes patience, imagination and lots of practice. I started out drawing hearts, and flowers, but I soon realized that basic shapes can be used to make some pretty incredible masterpieces.
Below are a few tricks to keep in mind when drawing caricature-like faces.
1. Draw a perfect circle, this will be the base of your portrait.
2. Section your circle into four perfect quarters, by drawing a cross in the middle.
3. Draw a line halfway above the middle of the top part of your cross, and another halfway below your cross. These will be your guidelines so draw them lightly, so you can erase them later.
4. Now draw your jaw, and chin, make sure not to draw your jaw too much bigger than your circle.
5. Draw your bottom lip on the bottom of your circle and add a slight curve to make it look natural, then add your top lip and make it a little thinner.
6. Depending on your caricature's nose, draw a wide, or small V shape on the bottom line you drew, and add a curve around the ends of your V to give it the shape of a nose.
7. Draw a light line from your nose to where you're placing your eyes, and draw a line to the middle of the guideline you drew, and add a circle, we will do the bottom half later.
8. Draw your brows, try not to make them too thick, you can fill them in later.
9. Go back to your mouth and start adding details, like a bow on the upper lip.
10. Draw your nostril holes, make sure to shade lightly, if you fill them in too much, it will give your caricature a very unflattering look.
11. Now finish your bottom lids by drawing a slight curve, add eyelids and define the eyes a little better.
12. Now erase your light lines, and add hair, by pressing on the side of your lead lightly, to add shape and dimension to your hair.
It isn't that hard to become a great artist, and with the right mindset and determination, you are on your way.
More by this Author
Yoga has saved my life! I could have never imagined I would be able to do yoga, but now I am addicted. Yoga has changed my mind, body and soul and I never want to give it up.
Making a beautiful paper rose is a very easy decor to make and you can add them to just about anything. Read below to learn how to make paper roses step by step.
You don't have to spend a fortune on a beauty product for it to work. Some of the best natural, cruelty-free products can be made at home with items you would find in your fridge or cabinet.