What questions to ask when buying used or second hand cars from a private person
Tips in buying second hand cars- knowing what to ask is important!
Planning to buy a used car or a second hand car?
Why not? If you're willing to be diligent enough, you're gonna get a great buy. . . a comfy, stylish and a functional car of your dream. Great value for less amount. Who wouldn't want that? It's also possible that you may enjoy not only the fun ride but you may also delight in the process of selection while meeting new people and establishing new connections.
When buying second hand cars, one should be asking a lot of questions from the seller. Candid curiosity pays off big time in this exploit. What I am about to relate below are products of personal experiences which I know may vary depending on one's location and circumstance. Nevertheless, they are great tips worth trying.
Tips in buying second hand cars
- First, there's no substitute in doing an actual ocular inspection (that is if you have the time; but if you're too busy, then. you can ask your questions first over the phone or via text messaging, whichever is more convenient for both of you; then, do the inspection of the second hand car later only if you are satisfied with the information you've got). You are then in good luck if the seller can bring the car to your location.
- Whichever way it can be arranged, be sure to take a careful look at the physical condition of the second hand car and test drive prior to closing of the deal. There's no use asking for more questions if you don't want the car afterall by mere appearance. Bring a trusted mechanic or a person in the know with you to help you with the inspection if you are less confident in determining the road worthiness of the car by yourself (optional, of course.)
- If the private person selling the used car is not known personally to you, determine who are you talking to, is the person the actual owner of the car for sale or not? If it won't be considered unethical by the other party, you may politely ask the reason why is he or she is selling the car? Ask for referrals. If you're working on a string budget, you would like also to know immediately what is the least selling price of the used car.
- Ask for photocopy of the car's ownership documents. In my current location, we ask for certificate of registration and official receipts. Examine if the documents are in order, updated and if the details shown jibe with the representation of the seller, e.g. the certificate of registration will reveal if the seller is the first owner of the second hand car, while, the official receipt will show recent car registration details, among others.
- Among the most important questions to ask, which hopefully, the seller will answer in all honesty, is if the used car has been involved in any mishap or accident before. This is very important since the useful life of car machine and value of the car itself are greatly diminished by damaged from accidents.
- Ask also who usually drives the car and for what purpose. There is a presumption that ladies are more careful drivers than men (which could be debatable since deterioration can surely depend on several factors other than gender.). If the car is being used to carry heavy loads, then, it could lend to faster deterioration rate compared to a car that is merely for office use. Anyway, the mileage can show the extent of use of the car by the owner.
- If the car is relatively new (few months or one to two years old), you should ask for records or history of maintenance, especially changing of oil, tires, break pads, repairs, etc.. Inquire on the tools that are usually in the car, are these tools still complete?
- As far as the seller knows, are there something for repair? I would rather buy a second hand car from an honest seller who would admit needed repairs than from someone who would conceal these info only for me to find out by myself later to my dismay.
- Finally, you could always thank the seller and walk away if you ae not satisfied with the car, or, in case, you want to buy it, arrange for payment details.
- Buying Used Cars in Toronto: Additional Fees and the...
So, you've negotiated a price that suits you and your budget. But is that the price you'll be paying? Probably not, because the price you see on the tag and the price you negotiate is just the base price. You...
- Buying a used car – tips and tricks
There's no right or wrong way to buy a used car, but there are things you need to do to make sure you don't get ripped off. This brief guide will help you to find the car of your dreams at a price that you...
- Used Car Buyer's Survival Guide
The Ultimate Used Car Evaluation Guide! Know how to spot a lemon! Special thanks to Chris Morgan for his automotive expertise (see footnotes). In the market for a used car? Used vehicles,...
More by this Author
Send flowers to your loved ones. This is a loving gesture that will never fail to win the heart of any woman in your life; be it your girlfriend, mother, daughter or close friends. Roses, orchids and sampaguita garlands...
China and the Chinese people are so blessed with a rich culture and great traditions. Read more about Chinese food and the annual grand New Year celebration which is among the few events observed worldwide in a...
Finding effective ways to prevent and reduce pollution (in air, water, or land) is difficult. We can start with ourselves and begin with small steps. This article explains how you can take action now.