How to Achieve Competence in a Workplace Meeting and Discussion, part 3
INFORMATION SHEET No. 2
ASKING AND OBTAINING INFORMATION:
Effective questioning can be ameans of obtaining information. Each question needs a reply. If each question is raised, it will surely elicit a kind of response however, the kind of response may depend on the type of question given.. It depends on the individual on what information she/he wants to get or in what extent of information does she/he wants to get.
Activity Sheet No. 4
First take this situation; the applicant wants to know the procedure in submitting the papers and the person in charge of accepting papers for the job vacancy of a company. See if the applicant can get any information:
“Are you also an applicant?” “yes”
“Have you given the papers needed?” “yes”
- Did the applicant get information?
- Do you think the applicant is satisfied with the information he gets?
- How do you know?
B. Read the situation that follows and see how different it is from the
Applicant 1: “Are you an applicant?”
Applicant 2: “yes”
Applicant 1: “Have you given the required papers?”
Applicant 2: “Yes”
Applicant 1: May i know the name of the person in-charge ?
Applicant 2: Sure, he is Mr. Valdez, the Human Resource supervisor’
Applicant 1 Where can I find him?
Applicant 2: He is in room 12 of this floor
Applicant 1: Why are you still here?
Applicant 2: Mr. Valdez instructed me to wait for about 30 minutes for an
Applicant 1: Thank for the information. By the way I’m Joey Abad
Applicant 2: I’m Leo Gomez. You’re welcome.
- How do you judge the applicant 1 in the second situation as compared to the applicant in the first situation?
- Do you think he will succeed in eleciting responses that will lead to the information he wants to get?
- What would happen to the applicant on the second situation?
- If you were at a place where you are not familiar with, how will you get information about the place? Write your answer below.
Notice how important it is for the person to use effective questions in order to get accurate information.
SELF- CHECK No. 2
Dyad Activity ( telephone conversation)
Form a dialogue in the chosen topic below:
- Enrolment experience
- Vacation escapades
- Job hiring
- Family reunion
- Summer job.
INFORMATION SHEET No. 3
TYPES OF QUESTIONING
There are four types of questions according to form:
- yes/no questions
- tag question
All of these forms end with a question mark. The yes/no question is so called because it requires a yes or no answer. The or-question asks the repondent to make a choice. Yes or no can never be used to answer an or-question. It is necessary to repeat the appropriate part of the question. The wh-questions, on the other hand , are information-seeking questions. Tag questions usually begin with the statement form, followed by the tag. These question are often used when agreement to a question is being sought from respondents or when no answer at all is required.
The following are examples of these sentences that end with a question mark.
Yes /No Question
v Have you been to Baguio?
v Is he a supervisor?
v Is Mr. Torres going to attend the seminar on Monday?
v Was he born in Manila or in Quezon?
v Do you like apples or bananas?
v Would you like to have tea or coffee?
v Where do you live?
v What’s your favorite sports?
v When did you see your doctor?
v Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet, didn’t he?
v You don’t like soda, do you?
v The teacher rarely comes late, doesn’t she/he?
ACTIVITY SHEET No. 5
Read the short text below and have a practice on how to formulate question according to form: After reading, construct two samples per type of question. There should be eight questions altogether. You may write you sample below the selection.
The amount of energy needed by an individual depends on a number of factors. One of these is body size. In general, a man’s body weight is larger than a woman’s body. Consequently, a man needs a greater supply of energy than a woman does. Another factor that affects energy is a person’s activities. A child for example may be smaller than an adult. A child however is more active, so she/he really needs more energy to carry out his/her many activities. Finally, age also detemines energy needs. As one grows older, his/her energy requirements decrease.
“Watch that Diet” in English book
Write your samples below:
Now compare your answer with the possible questions in the answer key section:
Now another practice is provided on how to formulate sample yes/no question; or-questions, wh-questions and tag questions. Write five examples altogether and classify each accordingly.
Mr Larry Tan is the new technician in our department. My co-workers and I did not like him. It was not because we knew he was smarter than we are or because he had done any one of us harm. We only knew we did not like him.
He was a stranger in our office and we did not like strangers. We knew nothing about Larry, or his personal life. We only knew that he had come from the branch office of our company and he was only renting an apartment near the office. So we all eyed Larry with suspicion.
You may write your answer below:
Did you have similar examples?
C. (Group activity:)
Present a situation using the four types of questioning to obtain and convey workplace information.
Choose one of the given situations belows:
- Entering the company premises.
- Get help to a co-worker.
- Approaching the superior about the tasks to be done.
- telephone conversation.
- Interview a co-worker about the nature of his/her work.
SELF- CHECK No. 3
A. Identify the question form of each of the following by writing Y/N for
yes/noquestion; WH for wh-question; OR for or-question and TQ for tag
- Was Jim right when he said that he had to leave for abroad? ___
- Does Jenny care for the effect of her decision or for what she feels? ___
- The superior was right, wasn’t he?___
- What did Maria announce to the group?___
- Why did he arrive at that drastic decision?___
- Does the Manager approve of it or not?___
- Will she allow it?___
- Helen was right in her decision, wasn’t he?___
- How did you manage to bear that problem?___
- I have not understand the instruction, have you?___
B. Change the following sentences into questions:
- He cannot make a final decision.
Y/N question ________________________________________________
2. Our department conducts a seminar about effective communication.
3. Mr. Roel Gonzaga, the manager, prefers to send a memo than to have a
face to face meeting.
4 The new technician has an adjustment of his work.
5. It is exciting for a newly graduate to apply for a job?
Y/N question ________________________________________________
C: Answer this:
What would you do if:
- The announcement you have read will affect your schedule for special examination to be given by your technology instructor?
- You disaaprove of the announcement that there will be a one-month overtime work including Saturday and Sundays because of company inventory.
More by this Author
INFORMATION SHEET NO. 2 DEVELOPING A PROFESSIONAL GROWTH PLAN A person cannot align his career unless he has aligned his personal life. He knows what he is headed to, what he wants and how to get it. Many people...
OBTAIN AND CONVEY WORKPLACE INFORMATION PARTICIPATE IN MEETINGS AND DISCUSSIONS COMPLETE RELEVANT WORK DOCUMENTS MODULE DESCRIPTION : This module contains information about ...
Filipino workers are considered to be at par best if not the best compared with other workers in the world. They are resourceful, resilient, persistent and consistent. They are persevering and will do what it takes just...
No comments yet.