Basic things to consider when organizing a Workshop , Seminar or Meeting
Initial things to consider
1. The topic or subject matter of the meeting,Seminar, workshop or training
This is always the start of everything, It is in this stage where we can tell what to organize, either meeting, Seminar, workshop, Training.
2. Set the date and time
Once the topic is finalized or the rest is identified, the date and time of the activity must be finalized, so that in case you need to arrange schedule with the chosen venue you can reserve the date and time right away
3. Identify the venue
If everybody agreed on the given date and time, we need to arrange for the venue, whether the bosses decided to do it at the office' conference hall or in any hotel or other places that can accommodate the number of attendees.It is necessary to arrange venue ahead of time so that in case the prospective place is unavailable you can immediately look for another one that can accommodate you group.
4. Guest Speaker (in case of workshop, seminar or training)
Sometimes even without the final date and venue yet, the guest speaker is already identified, most of the time, the availability of the speaker is first ask because if he is a busy person, the office will be the one to adjust to him.It's different with meetings, if it's an urgent meeting and the big boss calls for it, everybody must prioritize it unless they are out of the office (ex. out of the country tasks etc).
5. Draft memo attaching office order and notice of meeting for approval of the Head
If it is a big seminar or workshop approval of the Boss is necessary especially for the allocation of the budget. In every office activities, it is a must to have written proof that the activity is official even if it approved verbally.
6. Who are the attendees/number of attendees
Identify who will attend the activities, once the memo, office order and notice of meetings are signed /approved by the Boss, Photocopy and start distributing to the offices of the target attendees. Through the number of attendees will be identified too.
6. Snacks or meals for the workshop
We need to identify the number of attendees for us to have detailed idea on the number of snacks or meals to prepare. Snacks and Meals will also depend on the time of activities. If it is a whole day activities, depending on the budget, it must have at least 3 sets of meals. 1 light Snack in the morning with coffee anytime, Heavy one in Lunch and another light meal in the afternoon. There other considerations too like the religions and health concerns of other attendees, if there are attendees who don't eat pork, Chicken or beef must be an alternative for them.
Depending on the Manpower of the unit or office facilitating the activities, it is recommended to assign a point person in certain part of the meeting ,before , during and after the meeting
Over all Point Person of the project
He or she will be in charge of preparing the program as approved by the Boss, then he must be the one to identify and assign staff to take care of some matters. He or She must be consulted on any problem during the program and He or She must do things to solve those problem without causing commotion during the meeting
1. Person in- charge of supplies
Person in-charge in the meeting must take care of supplies to be prepared before the meeting, during the meeting she is the one attending to the supplies need of the attendees and will provide what will be requested during the meeting. Must help in other activities like distribution of snacks or meals. She is the one in charge of coordinating with other units taking care of the target conference room or function room or the one to look for a venue if the activities will be held outside the office building
2. Person in Charge of Snacks and Meals
He or she must consult the boss on the snacks or meals to be ordered, she will need to coordinate with the one handling the list of attendees to know the number of snacks to be ordered and other special snacks for those religion and health conscious. During the meeting she must supervise utility assistant in the coffee area, she will be the one to keep order during the distribution of food, and must be the one to do something in case the food orderdc is not enough.
3. Person in charge of Attendance, and distiribution of Name tags or souvenirs,
He or she must be the same person in charge of calling Units and Offices to follow up and confirm the attendance
4. Person in charge to take the minutes of meetings, highlights of the seminar or any records of the activities
Must also be the Person who prepared the memo, notice of meeting and office order; He or She must submit on the given time the detailed report of highlight of the activities
5. Person to host the activity- can also be the person to coordinate with the speaker, and will also assist the Speaker in the activity like encouraging attendees to ask questions or participate more in the discussion. He or she must provide the Person in- charge of the certificates and gift for the speaker proper information.
What to prepare?
List down everything that will be needed in the activities
1. Laptop Computer : For presentation purposes
2. Audio-Visual Equipment like Screen Projector or slides and others; still or presentation
3. Supplies and materials : From pens to Manila Paper and other minor supplies like masking tape,stapler and paper clips
4. Framed certificates for the speaker and certificates for the attendees
© 2011 Maria Cecilia
More by this Author
It is a place the offer refuge to restless souls. Kamay ni Hesus Shrine, Lucban Quezon is indeed another pride of the Philippines
This is about my personal views on Teambuilding activity,I know it is important in one organization so that employees will have time to stress out and enjoy, however some considerations should also apply
A love triangle that divides the fans of beautiful actress Ha Jiwon. Another remarkable seaguk drama by none other than MBC, the producer of the very Phenomenal saeguk drama like Quuen Seon deok