Qatar the emerging Power of Middle East
The Royal Family
The the Changing Perspective of Arab World
Qatar the emerging Power of Middle East
When it was declared the Qatar will host 2022 FIFA World Cup. Many in the world are surprised. But I am not. Qatar is one of the fasted growing wealthy nations. Qatar will be the richest in the world 2013. Qatar has very successfully hosted Asian Games in 2006.
Qatar with its vast gas reserve has become world’s third largest gas producer. This tiny nation is working overtime to reach the status of world’s emerging power and power broker. QIA the sovereign wealth fund of Qatar really did very big.
Real GDP growth will remain very high in 2011, reaching 15.8%, but will slow to an average of 5.4% in 2012-15, as no new major energy projects are planned over the period. The fiscal surplus (excluding most LNG revenue) widened to an estimated 13.8% of GDP (QR61.8bn; US$17bn) in 2010/11. It will widen further to 18.1% of GDP in 2011/12 and to an average of 19% of GDP in 2012-15. The consumer price index declined by an estimated average of 1.9% in 2010, but consumer prices will rise again in 2011, by 4.2%, as property prices begin to recover and domestic demand stays strong. The current account recorded an estimated surplus of US$15.1bn (13.3% of GDP) in 2010 and is expected to remain heavily in surplus in 2011-15, owing to continued strong hydrocarbons exports. Qatar avoided recession in 2008-09, and the economy surged ahead in 2010 because of the global recovery and the domestic boost provided by a near doubling of LNG production. The final LNG "super-train" (with a capacity of 7.8m t/y) came on stream earlier this year. Concerns have been growing about the combined impact on the economy of a global slump in demand for LNG, particularly in the US, and the coming on stream of new LNG capacity in Qatar and further afield, but these have been allayed temporarily by increased demand in Japan. The next two years will be still be difficult; however, Qatar’s dominant position in the market and low production costs should enable it to maintain export volumes, although profit margins will be squeezed and it will increasingly rely on the spot market. Although crude production capacity will rise by about 25% over the forecast period largely owing to expansion at the
• Qatar’s National Development Strategy (NDS) covering 2011-16 provides a frank analysis of the country’s development prospects and challenges. Hydrocarbons will continue to dominate and underpin national prosperity but, with the completion of the last of the major hydrocarbons projects in 2012, the emphasis of the NDS is on developing the non-hydrocarbons sector.
• We project that real GDP growth will exceed 20 percent this year before slipping to 6 percent next and – in line with the NDS – hold at around 4-5 percent a year post-2012 as the non-hydrocarbon sector takes over as the engine of growth. This will be supported by the massive $226 billion planned investment program, including $95 billion from the central government.
• Its seems clear that revenues from hydrocarbon exports will make Qatar a wealthy country, ensuring sustained fiscal and current account surpluses and a further build up in external assets even under adverse oil and gas price assumptions.
• Managing such wealth, promoting economic diversification and completing large scale infrastructure investments in time for the 2020 World Cup will present challenges. But the NDS provides reassurance that policy makers are prepared, and will take steps to mitigate potential inflationary pressures and to avoid wasteful spending.
• Recent data confirm the continued increase in hydrocarbon output and point to improving conditions in the non-hydrocarbon sector which should receive a further boost from the expansionary budget announced for 2011/12. Private credit growth is reviving, helped by recent interest rate cuts, and the stock market returned to positive territory in May. Inflation is on the rise, but remains muted overall (1.7 percent in March), due to sustained weakness in rents. That said, reports suggest that the real estate sector has begun to stabilise.
Growth remains world beating
Available estimates suggest that real GDP grew by around 16 percent in 2010, while nominal GDP grew by around 30 percent to reach $116 billion. The principal driver of nominal growth was the rebound in the hydrocarbons sector which rose 57.7 percent in according to official data, driven by higher prices and production. Manufacturing also recovered strongly following a contraction in 2009 to expand by 20.7 percent, as did electricity and water (up 15.4 percent). However, residual strains in the economy were apparent as growth remained muted in some sectors (trade, hospitality, finance and real estate services) while building and construction saw another decline (see table). Looking ahead we would expect strong performances in most sectors this year and next as public infrastructure spending accelerates and the hydrocarbons sector posts further output gains. Real GDP is expected to grow by over 20 percent in 2011 as the remaining large gas related projects come on stream, before slowing to 6 percent in 2012.
Qatar's Global Footprint
- Lagardre - Lagardere.com - Groupe - Accueil du site
Lagardre est un groupe 100 % mdia comptant parmi les leaders mondiaux. Dirig par Arnaud Lagardre, il est implant dans plus de 40 pays et se structure autour de quatre mtiers distincts et complmentaires : Lagardre Publishing : Livre ; Lagardre Active
- Barclays Personal Banking | ISAs | Barclays latest ISA rates - Barclays
Whether you want a current account, a loan, or to save at Barclays we can offer what could be good for you. Learn more about what we offer at barclays.co.uk
- Credit Suisse
- Home - Porsche Automobil Holding SE
- Hotchief Germany
- Stock Prices, Financial Markets News, FTSE 100 Index - London Stock Exchange
Live share & stock prices, charts, indexes including FTSE 100 index, business news, listed companies, at the heart of the global financial shares and trading markets
- Volkswagen international brand portal
, Volkswagen international brand portal, Volkswagen worldwide., Information on Volkswagen models and services in your country / your region:, International., Experience the international brand w...
- Agricultural Bank of China
Agricultural Bank of China
- Songbird Estates PLC - Home page
On 21 May 2004, Songbird Acquisition Limited (a consortium including Morgan Stanley-Sponsored Funds and Simon Glick) declared its offer for Canary Wharf Group plc wholly unconditional. As a result of this announcement, Songbird Estates plc became the
- Canary Wharf Group plc - Home
- Harrods - Luxury beauty and fragrance, fashion accessories, gifts
Shop the world's most famous luxury department store online. At Harrods.com you will discover luxury gifts for every occasion; exclusive beauty products, cosmetics, skincare & fragrance from the must-have beauty brands as well as an excellent sel
Qatar on Net
- FIFA.com - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar
- The first FIFA 2022 website in Qatar, Fifa2022qa.com is best website to know more about FIFA2022 Qat
- The Qatar Investment Authority - a world class investor
The QIA was founded by the State of Qatar in 2003 to strengthen the country's economy by diversifying into new asset classes.
- Qatar Airways Kuwait | World\'s 5-star airline
The localised Kuwait homepage for Qatar Airways
- Qatar Foundation - Home Page | Qatar Foundation - Unlocking human potential.
- Front page - Hukoomi Qatar E-government
- Qatar Information Guide - Everything About Visiting and Living in Doha Qatar
Online Qatar guide providing information for Qatar visitors like places to visit, things to do, attractions, restaurants, flights, hotels and information for residents including jobs, schools and more.
Qatar on Hub Pages
No comments yet.
Would You Like to Visit QatarSee results without voting
Qatar in Pictures
FIFA 2022 Stadium Green
Qatar the Emerging
In the Hot Summer - Cool and Green
Doha Asian Games
Qatar Did it Before
More by this Author
What Is a Project? Introduction The first stage in developing an understanding of project management is to define what a project is and, by contrasting with other production systems, what a project is...
Islamic Finance Market o Definition of Financial Market A financial market may be defined...
Project Manager Selection Criteria and Critical Success Factors The Project Manager One of the most important decisions in project management is the choice of project...