Top 50 Global Businesses - Rated by The Chemical and Engineering News
International Business Rank By Revenues
Every year that passes embeds the United States in a deepening global economy of international businesses. More than previously, our nation's college and university students are choosing degrees in global business and learning languages such as French, Middle Eastern tongues, and East Asian languages.
At the top of the search results for the world's Top 50 Businesses among several modern Internet search engines, we find that The Chemical and Engineering News online journal recently named their Global Top 50 Business picks.
Energy companies and chemical companies led the way in this list then and remain in the leadership today.
A table of current Top 50 Businesses in the World is located in the right sidebar HERE. These businesses are all gas and oil or chemical-related companies and have produced large revenues. While they may be the largest dollar-generating companies in terms of yearly revenues, aside from financial products, real estate, or perhaps valuable gemstones or platinum, not all of us will think that they are the "best" companies. The Oil and Gas Industry is frequently decried for waste of fossil fuels and for increasing worldwide pollution, so its successes are not appreciated everywhere.
With new fuels required for long-term space travel, energy companies have a bright future. New engines are required as well, providing additional business for the energy companies in partnership with engineering businesses and NASA Commercial Crew.
This all means that the list of chosen 50 "big businesses" below are actually the best businesses to none other, perhaps, than those interested in the gas/oil/chemical industry, engineering, and related entities, such as government.
I would also like to see a list of the
- Top 50 Green Businesses in the World
- Top 50 Non-profit Human Rights and Human Welfare Businesses Globally
- Top 50 Businesses that Promote the Arts/Music Globally
- Top 50 Businesses that Preserve Indigenous Languages Globally
- Top 50 Aerospace Exploration Businesses Globally
and so on. I will be looking for these other great lists as I continue through this one, which is most interesting.
DOW: The Human Element
Energy Is Leading the Businesses of the Future
If you have not been aware of the Chemical and Engineering Industries previously, you can learn much from reading about the top companies in these businesses.
As far as Oil, Gas, Chemicals and related energies, the Top 10 out of the Top 50 businesses named by The Chemical and Engineering News include:
- BASF is at the top of the list of 50 in the Number One slot and has been in the top two global businesses, with Dow Chemical for four years in a row. BASF The Chemical Company is primarily concerned with sustainable resources and develops "easy flow" plastics that are environmentally friendly in furniture, automotive and electrical industries.
- Dow Chemical has created water purification plants in India and sponsored reading programs in Detroit, demonstrating their commitment to making a better world. The company has established sustainability goals for the year 2015, at which time, these goals will be readjusted for a future date.
- At third on the list of Top 50 Businesses, Royal Dutch Shell also reports a commitment to the environment and studies global climate change as an ongoing initiative.
- In fourth place, ExxonMobile established a $100 million fund to Stanford University and its Global Climate and Energy Project ExxonMobile is also researching efficiency and better tires for the future.
- Number five is a young company, INEOS, which provides dozens of chemicals in facilities on every continent.
- Sixth in line is Dupont chemical ("The Miracles of Science"). Dupont manufactures everything from paint to flooring to Teflon® non-stick surfaces.
- In seventh place is China Petroleum and Chemical Corporation or Sinopec. This is a predominantly oil and gas company in operation since 2000 and is the largest such company in China.
- TOTAL, another oil, gas and chemical company, is Number Eight in the top 10 of the 50 largest businesses named.
- Formosa Plastics Group is Number Nine in the top 10, using crude oil and producing PCV resin for such items as PCV pipe that is used in construction and elsewhere. Formosa Plastics Group has been operating since 1954 and has expanded steadily.
- Bayer ("The Science of Life") rounds out the top 10 at Number Ten, using chemicals to produce a wide array of drugs from simple Bayer Aspirin to cancer treatments and more involved medications.
INEOS: Tom Crotty, expansion Statement
Links to the Top 10 Oil, Gas & Chemical Companies
- Dow Chemical Corporate Website - The Dow Chemical Company
Dow Chemical Company is a leader in specialty chemicals delivering products and solutions to sectors such as electronics, water, energy, and coatings
- DuPont USA | Global Headquarters
DuPont and its partners use science-driven innovation to nourish a growing population, build a secure energy future and make the world a safer place.
- Formosa Plastics
FPC USA is a vertically-integrated supplier of polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC, chlor-alkali, EDC and other olefins products. ISO 9001 and 14001 registered.
- INEOS - The Word for Chemicals
We are one of the world's largest manufacturers of chemicals and oil products, with sales of $45 billion, employing 15,000 people
- The Shell global homepage - Shell Global
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies. With around 92,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories.
- Total Global Homepage - Oil, Natural Gas and Solar Energy Company | total.com
Total is a global, integrated energy producer and provider, the world’s fifth-ranked international oil and gas company and second-ranked photovoltaic solar energy operator. Learn more...
More by this Author
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!