Dead Time Management
Time Management While Travelling
Time management is never thought of when we are moving from one place to another. While in a traffic jam, what will you be doing? Are you doing something productive? While waiting for a friend at the mall, and she is really late.... do you just stand there and wait for the next 30 minutes? It is interesting to see how each person has his or her own ways to manage time. I guess each one has different priorities and habits that determine how time is managed.
Dead Time Management
How then can we manage Dead Time? or I would rephrase.... how do we manage time efficiently and purposefully? We are creatures of habits. We just get used to doing what we are used to doing day in and day out. We must acknowledge that this is a problem most of us have. First.... let us locate the possible Dead Time or time segments which see us staring aimlessly into the air doing nothing, in our 24 hours.... when you can actually do nothing productive.
- You just missed your bus, now you have to wait for 30 minutes.
- You are 20 minutes early for an appointment, and decided to aimlessly walk around to KILL time.
- Your friend is late for an appointment... just 15 minutes late.
- You commute by train 1 hour per trip.
- You spend time to sip and enjoy a cup of coffee 30 minutes.
- You are stuck in a regular traffic jam or slow traffic which will keep you in your car for the next 1 hour.
- You have set 30 minutes for your cake to bake in the oven.
- You have just marinated your meat and you are just planning to wait for an hour before you work the meat dish.
- You have just put your laundry in the washer/dryer and waiting for the next hour to get by quickly to fold and keep it.
- You have just attended one class in school, and you have 2 hours before you attend the next class.
Understanding Dead Time
I never came across this term until recently. Time if not used purposefully, or left to pass by without doing anything will see each second dying away. You can never retrieve it at all.
We are only given 24 hours a day. Sleep is necessary, deep and restful sleep. Working hours or school hours are fixed, if you are a productive worker or student. Eating a meal - this time is a must. Family time of interaction - is a must, not to be compromised. Yes, there are segments of time which are non-negotiable.... you just need to do it.
Dead Time is when you are waiting for a friend or commuting in a vehicle... and you are just looking around aimlessly... to the left, right... then far away... then with a blank mind. There is just mere wasting time doing anything productive or purposeful at all. You may want to sit down and reflect on each day's activities, and write down what you did for the day and how you have used certain segment of time in your day. Surprises! You may find you have 1 hour of dead time for that day.
Efficient Time Management
I think the list of dead time can go on and on, according to your career, lifestyle, habits, etc.... It is so important to use that 24 hours God had given us... and use it purposefully and efficiently.
There are so many things you can do with dead time. Some suggestions....
- Listen to a motivationals talk on CD, MP3
- Read a book of interest to you
- Visit the Bookshop or library if you are at the Mall waiting
- Write your journal
- Jot down the list of tasks to complete for the day
- Make a call to encourage a friend
- Write a "thank you" card or letter to a friend
- Visit a friend in the office if it is within the same location
- Work on your school or work assignment
So.... I think there is so much more to add on.... let me have your views and share your own ways of eliminating Dead Time purposefully.
More by this Author
Fishing spots in Malaysia for Kelong Fishing and Deep Sea Fishing to be explored. Fishing tips when going on a Kelong Fishing Trip and Stay.
Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year. Plants and Flowers with auspicious symbolic meanings to celebrate a new beginning for the Chinese, in Singapore.
With only a few months or weeks to the GCE O Levels, a good Coaching Program or Intensive revision program for GCE O Level students may be something to look into. Confused, you want to do well...you check this out!