My Likes And Dislikes
I Like Sunsets
We all have our likes and dislikes. Today’s challenge is to write about ten likes and dislikes.
1. Children – Anyone who has read what I have written knows that I love children. I love their innocence, their honesty, their love of learning. I love watching them grow, physically, mentally and emotionally. I love the way they answer questions without real fear of hurting your feelings – you have to know they will be honest with you. Don’t ask a child something if you don’t want them to be so innocently honest.
2. Books – Books can take you places that you may never get to go otherwise. As a child I rode with Laura Ingalls and her family as they moved towards the west. I went hunting with Billy and Old Dan and Little Ann. I went to Narnia and Oz and met friends I would never meet in real life. I could explore new places every day and meet new people every day. I spent more time with a book than I did with real people – they never made fun of me and they always wanted to be my friend. There was nothing better than a good book to take me away from all the troubles in the real world.
3. Animals – Dogs, cats, mice, hamsters and chickens, to name a few. I love animals of all kinds. I would own a zoo if I could. In fact, my mother always claimed that we lived in a zoo with all of the animals I brought home. Besides books, my dogs and cats were my best friends. They would listen to my secrets and would never tell anyone. They could also take me places, and forced me to get out of the house and do something besides read.
4. Friends – I don’t know what I would do without my friends. They make a tough job easier by being there and listening to me complain. They get me out of the house to have fun. They are there for me for all the good times and the bad. They rejoice in my good news and pump me up me up when I have bad news. I am lucky to have great friends.
5. People who write – I have found many new friends and have learned a great deal from the people who write here on Hubpages. I can come onto Hubpages and learn something new or read some interesting story or fun poem. If I am having a bad day, there is always someone that has a funny story or some interesting advice for me. I love the people who write.
6. Good News – Last night I got some really good news. We are expecting our 5th grandchild in July. This is three months after we found out that we will have our fourth grandchild in April. I love getting good news! I know everyone does – it’s much better than the alternative.
7. Sunsets – I love sitting outside as it starts getting dark. There are colors in the sky that are impossible to describe. It is so peaceful sitting on my balcony and watching the sun set. It’s just too beautiful and peaceful.
8. Wichita - Most people think that Wichita is just a boring city with a minimal amount of things to do. And it can be that. But Wichita is also the home to some of the most caring people in the nation. When something goes wrong, you can count on your neighbors to help make it right again. Wichita is big enough to have just about everything you need and want, but small enough that you can still get to know your neighbors. I love our River Festival when people from all over the world come to visit and take part in all of the different activities. When adults can be kids again.
9. Kansas – When people think of Kansas, they think of nothing but flat. What they don’t think about are the wonderful Flint Hills, the golden wheat growing in the fields, the rivers and lakes that are as beautiful as any in the world. We have the World’s Deepest Hand Dug Well, Big Brutus, and the Largest Ball of String. We have Dorothy’s house, complete with Yellow Brick Road and we have haunted hotels. We have a town that made international news because of its efforts to rebuild “green” after a devastating tornado. We have just about anything you would like to see.
10. Family – I could not survive without my family. My brothers and sisters are the best in the world. My children and grandchildren give me hope. I have aunts and uncles and cousins that are always there for me when I need them to be. I have the world’s best husband who treats me well and loves me just the way I am.
1. Spiders – I used to love spiders. My dad told us that if he were reincarnated, he would come back as a spider. I played with spiders when I was a child. But then, my home became infested with spiders. I put out sticky traps and caught ten or twelve brown recluse spiders every night. I quickly got tired of spiders. And then when I was bit by one – they went to the top of my you know what list! I would be glad to never see another spider in my life!
2. Mean People – People who are mean to children and animals need to re-examine their lives. Why do they need to treat those that are smaller than them so horribly. I don’t care what has gone on in your life, there is no reason – ever – to mistreat an animal or a child. There should be even tougher laws on those who abuse children and animals. There is just no reason for it.
3. Bullies – Yes, mean people are bullies, too, but bullies can be any age. I really dislike children who pick on other children just because they are different. Children with disabilities deserve to be treated like any other child – bullies find that hard to do.
4. Bad writers giving writing advice – I am not a perfect writer. I make grammatical mistakes, spelling errors and who knows what else. But I don’t write hubs about how to be a better writer. I don’t mind advice from people who know what they are talking about – but when the hub is full of the errors they are telling you to avoid – well – that’s just silly.
5. Colds and Flu – Who likes colds and flu? I hate being sick! I feel so helpless and I hate having to rely on other people! I want to be the one helping others, not the one being waited on hand and foot. I don’t like feeling helpless.
6. Thieves – I understand that some people feel that they have to steal. They need what they steal in order to eat – or at least that is what excuse they use. In reality, there is no reason to steal from anyone. I think that today I hate it even more, because a thief just shot two people to death. He got away with a measly $40...definitely not worth killing two people over.
7. TV shows that make me want to buy things I can never have – I love watching shows like House Hunters and Buying Alaska. I see some of the most beautiful homes. Homes that have everything you could ever want in a house. Homes that normal, middle class American really have no hope in ever owning. Yet I continue to watch these shows…
8. Not knowing the latest gossip – I have to admit it – I love gossip. I want to know the latest dirt on everyone. I don’t necessary spread the gossip, but I have to hear it! I love television shows like Entertainment Tonight that tell me the latest gossip of the stars. I love standing in the office after school to hear the latest stories about everyone. I know that by listening to the gossip, I am also fair game to be gossiped about. And I am okay with that. I know what’s true and not true, so that’s all that really matters.
9. Crime in my neighborhood – My neighborhood was once THE place to live in. You had to be at least upper middle class to be able to afford the homes in this area. Nowadays, it’s almost scary to live here. It happened when gangs moved into the area. Crime increased and property values went down. There have been drive-by shootings just around the corner from me. Men were murdered three blocks from my front door.
10. People who don’t know how to drive – I don’t like people who don’t need to be on the street behind the wheel of an automobile. People who think the roads were made just for them and that none of the laws apply to them. People who have fast cars or motorcycles and think they have to show everyone just how fast – and stupid – they are. People who don’t realize that they must share the road with everyone.
Just a couple of lists of my likes and dislikes. Not anything life-changing or earth shattering – just my thoughts. Maybe my lists will inspire someone else to make their own lists – and maybe not.
More by this Author
If you are ever in downtown Wichita, Kansas, walk by and enjoy the sculptures that are everywhere as you walk.
I love my rose colored glasses - but when I take them off for a minute, I see the social issues that still exist in America. Why does racism still exist?
I stopped to give money to a stranger on a street corner...here is his story...