jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How to make my hubs copyright protected?

1. Mellonyy profile image80
    Mellonyyposted 4 years ago

What are the reasons to do it, or not to do it?

1. derek gulbranson profile image81
      derek gulbransonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In the United States at least, any work you create (including a Hub) has copyright protection the moment you create it. Even a sketch on the back of a napkin is copyright "you" as soon as your pen hits the paper. You forfeit that right if you do not enforce it. A notice at the bottom of the page is a fine first step to enforcing your copyright, but you must also notify offenders if/when copies of your work appear and then sue them if they don't stop using it or the work becomes public domain. So copyright protection is unfortunately not a magic wand to prevent people from using your work. It takes a lot of effort and resources on your part to enforce those rights and get law enforcement involved when they are infringed, effort that is frequently impractical for Hubs.

My two cents, you don't need to do anything special. The most that can be done, is being done already. Some people insert more prominent copyright messages in their content. I suspect this may just advertise to thieves that it's something worth stealing.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

You retain all copyrights when you publish on this site, as stated in the terms of use.  And those rights are also indicated by the statement at the bottom of every page which reads, "Copyright © 2012 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. All rights reserved.  Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners."

3. Mellonyy profile image80
    Mellonyyposted 4 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your support!

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Don't post your work online.