Why isn't ad code on hubs configured so pages will load faster?

  1. EdTecher profile image82
    EdTecherposted 15 months ago

    I've noticed that quite often there is a pause part way through a hub page displaying.  I've seen this happen whether on my smartphone, laptop or desktop.  And I've seen it happen on any hub that has ads.

    When I randomly check a few with Google PageSpeed, I see that the javascript ad code is blocking content from loading.  That means the ad code must finish rendering completely before the rest of the page can load. I have observed that I may have to wait 10 seconds or longer to see the complete page content.

    Why doesn't HP configure the ad code so that is is deferred or loaded asynchronously, so that the page will load faster? The average user coming to a hubpage via a search engine will not likely wait it out if the page is loading slowly.  I know I wouldn't.  I configure ads on my website to load asynchronously for just this reason.

  2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 months ago

    The ad server code is asynchronous, but I believe that hosts have limits into how many connections they will process simultaneously.

    Unfortunately, ads are really slow and not much we can do beyond removing them. Load a hub with ads off and you'll see how quickly it loads.

    I'd really like the ads to be quicker as well!

  3. EdTecher profile image82
    EdTecherposted 15 months ago

    The ads may be loading asynchronously, but do you have any idea why PageSpeed Insights sees these as blocking scripts?  I believe it would be tremendously worthwhile to work out the blocking script issues, as I'm sure it's impacting traffic.

    PageSpeed Results for a hubpage:
    Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

    Your page has 3 blocking script resources and 1 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
    None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

    Remove render-blocking JavaScript:

    http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jq … min.js....