jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

(mis)Counting Twitter traffic?

1. chezchazz profile image86
    chezchazzposted 16 months ago

How is it that my twitter account can consistently report 12 to 23 clicks on a link to a particular hub page and the hub pages traffic talley only shows 2 or 3 visitors on the same day? This has been happening for at least 2 weeks that I am aware of - never paid that much attention before but my twitter traffic has been better than ever lately so when I noticed a huge difference in visitors/popularity of some hubs, thought I'd check if anyone else was having this experience or could explain the discrepancy. Thank you.

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 16 months ago

Some website entities count bot/spider visits as "clicks". Some don't.

My speculation is Twitter does and HubPages doesn't.

chezchazzposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for the response. Does that mean they ignore traffic from Twitter? What if someone makes a purchase from a hubpage arrived at via twitter?
      Does it matter if Twitter posts use A) the hub page url, B) the hub page url in a shortened version or C) buffer.com or similar service to schedule tweets?

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
        paradigmsearchposted 16 months ago in reply to this

No. When a real human shows up, it's counted.

3. chezchazz profile image86
    chezchazzposted 16 months ago

But real people are clicking on the tweet to go the page being promoted, so why is the hubpages visitor count so much lower than the count on twitter?

4. bat115 profile image78
    bat115posted 16 months ago

If I'm understanding your question right, I think the answer is the numbers you see via your twitter link are people clicking on your tweet and whether they click on your link and go to the page is a different matter. That's just what I gather from my experience. it can get frustrating.

chezchazzposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Thank you, bat115 - that makes more sense - but I doubt that 100% of clicks are to my twitter page and not the link.  It is strange that twitter does not show up as a traffic source as I have been getting 100+ clicks per day on HP promotion tweets...Yes, it is frustrating!
      Thanks again, "bat" and paradigm search.

working