jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Entomology?

1. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 2 months ago

Anyone spot the problem with this page?

https://owlcation.com/stem/entomology/

1. eugbug profile image93
      eugbugposted 2 months ago in reply to this

It seems that creatures with an extra pair of legs made their way into the category?

Will Apseposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I would like to pretend that I am shocked but I know what non-scientists are like.

This kind of thing is important, though. Owlcation needs to get away from the complete amateur thing and try to make it to the pop science league. I can just about manage that sort of level myself, at a push, but my heart sinks when I see spiders masquerading as insects.

Personally, I reckon they should be targeting teachers (retired or merely poverty stricken) with ads for olwcation, and hinting at a nice trickle of money if they submit useful articles. But hard to do without a real structure.

1. eugbug profile image93
          eugbugposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Arthropodology would probably be the proper classification but it's probably too late to change things now?

It would, but they will probably settle for 'Creepy Crawlies' lol.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Another idea: Instead of renaming the entire category, they should include Arachnology, which is missing presently, and just move those hubs about spiders.

I think that the Hubbers who wrote about spiders may know better, but had no choice but to select Entomology as the next-best topic category for their hubs. However, this miscategorization lessons the authoritative nature of Owlcation.com.

I reckon authority has a number of aspects and the most important, currently, is attracting good writers. Good writers have standards.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image89
    Jayne Lancerposted 2 months ago

They could retitle the category "Arthropodology and Entomology": I've known them to retitle categories on the main site, so they should be able to do it on the niche sites.

As far as I know, curators decide which category an article belongs in on the niche sites, not the author.

I had a page about power sanders sent to 'appliances' in Dengarden. That looks odd but spiders in Entomology is a real faux pas.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image89
        Jayne Lancerposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Yes, I've noticed they don't always categorize absolutely appropriately, but this is one they certainly need to correct.

3. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 2 months ago

Lo, and behold, an ed with a science degree:

http://hubpages.com/@devranelson

No excuse now.

working