Ads in health article disabled

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Edward C. profile image64
    Edward C.posted 13 years ago

I wrote an article on a women's health issue that I am very familiar with. It was necessary for me to use the word "vagina" several times in the article. I am not going to give it some cute little name. That's ridiculous. Unfortunately, there are no ads on my hub. I presume the ads were disabled because of trigger words, but that's ridiculous! It's a basic health piece. What should I do now? Is this standard practice with health articles that use the correct name for body parts?

2. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

This is interesting. I just did a search for Hubs that use that word, and some do have ads, and some don't. I'd ask the HubPages Team if I were you.

3. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

If you read the FAQ about disabled ads, it says to contact the admin team with these sorts of issues.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I published a hub on Vaginismus, and had the same problem. I did ask about it, and unfortunately it is against Adsense rules and therefore hubpages to have ads on sexual health hubs (amongst a considerable list of other sometimes surprising ones).

This might clarify things (quoted from Help section):

In partnership with our advertising partners, we've identified below some areas that are not suitable for advertising but that, at our discretion, we may allow to remain published without ads:

* Reproductive medical content (including vaginal and penile issues and sexually transmitted diseases)
        * Content about sexuality, including losing your virginity, fetish, or LGBT issues
        * Content about abortion, circumcision, genital mutilation, rape, incest, pedophilia, and molestation
        * Content describing violent crimes or gruesome accidents
        * Lewd or profane humor, including provocative double entendre
        * Restrained journalistic or fine art nudity

If the content of your Hub falls into one of these areas, please set the Ad Level to 'None'. If you have specific questions, please contact us.

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read that Hub, Cindy, quite a while ago (I read a lot of Hubs on all manner of topics). I really don't see why yours is against the rules when others aren't. If you do the search I just did, you'll see what I mean.

1. Edward C. profile image64
        Edward C.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are a few articles on the exact same topic I chose to write about that have ads. Frustrating.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe you Camlo, it is a bit odd, as I had a similar problem on a hub of mine about improving male fertility, only difference was the adverts kept appearing and vanishing randomly (along with the Ads disabled logo in the My Account page). In the end I just left it alone, and for the majority of the time the adverts are there. In the case of the Vaginismus hub I changed the ad settings to none, so they won't appear at all whatever happens now, but I only did this because I hated seeing that little 'Ads disabled' logo by it in My Account, and the adverts never seemed to appear on it anyway.

I am sure there are lots of Hubs that fall into this category that for some reason the Ads do appear on, but quite possibly their ads come and go as well. There is no point in my questioning this with Hubpages as they will refer me back to the rules I listed in my last comment. I wouldn't want to Flag the hubs where they do appear either, as this seems a bit petty, especially as I think Ads should be allowed on these, although I appreciate this decision is not down to Hubpages in reality and is more of an Adsense issue.

1. camlo profile image83
          camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think there must be a lot of people who refer to the Internet when they notice they might have such a health issue, not necessarily instead of visiting a physician, but in order to understand what could be wrong before visiting one. So, I think ads could be very profitable.
          Switching off the ads to be sure they don't appear is probably the best thing to do, though, since this is the policy. The only way to make money on such Hubs is through Amazon.
          I suppose the Hubs that do have ads might have 'slipped through the net'. No, I wouldn't flag them either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)